Railroad Forums 

• ALCO S-6's for sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#473450  by johnjohn

I have 2 Alco S-6's that I would like to sell. Just wondering if anyone would be interrested. One runs, but was stopped being used 3 years ago and the other would be good for parts. The one that runs is in good condition, but the other is pretty rough. I do not know much about these, except that they were made from May 1955 to December of 1960, and only 126 of these were ever made. They are a diesel-electric locomotive of the switcher type constructed by ALCO of Schenectady, New York. It has a 251A or 251B engine rated at 900 horsepower, and rode on two-axle AAR trucks, giving a B-B wheel arrangement. I would entertain an offer on these locomotives, as I am not totally sure what they are worth, but do know what it would bring for scrap. SO, if no one is interrested in buying them, that is what I will do with them. Just wanted to see if anyone would want them, since they are so rare, before cutting them up.

Thanks,

John Lockhart

#473454  by thebigham

Thanks, John!
 #473534  by Alcoman

johnjohn wrote:I have 2 Alco S-6's that I would like to sell. Just wondering if anyone would be interrested. One runs, but was stopped being used 3 years ago and the other would be good for parts. The one that runs is in good condition, but the other is pretty rough. I do not know much about these, except that they were made from May 1955 to December of 1960, and only 126 of these were ever made. They are a diesel-electric locomotive of the switcher type constructed by ALCO of Schenectady, New York. It has a 251A or 251B engine rated at 900 horsepower, and rode on two-axle AAR trucks, giving a B-B wheel arrangement. I would entertain an offer on these locomotives, as I am not totally sure what they are worth, but do know what it would bring for scrap. SO, if no one is interrested in buying them, that is what I will do with them. Just wanted to see if anyone would want them, since they are so rare, before cutting them up.

Thanks,

John Lockhart
Some questions:
1) Are they equipped with MU ?
2) Do they have friction bearing trucks or roller bearing trucks?
3) do you know who the previous owner was?
4) you say one is in rough shape-does it run? If not do you know why?
Thanks

#473946  by Alcoman

Former Holly Sugar ALCO S-6 An old photo of the S6 Unit will be sold or leased as having roller bearing
wheel sets. It should be pointed out that the Holly Sugar S-6 is one of 5 currently for sale. Not connected to above posts.
John

#474716  by thebigham

How many S6s are left? I have 7 on an old list.

T6s? I have 10 on an old list.

#474844  by Alcoman

thebigham wrote:How many S6s are left? I have 7 on an old list.

T6s? I have 10 on an old list.

There are more than 7 S-6's, but I will have compile a list. I will have to print that in Alco Notes too.
To start with, the Asbestos's & Danville in Canada has 7 of them.
There are 5 for sale.
DL 1
Middletown & Hummelstown 1
Anderson Grain in Ohio 1
Relco 2
Dow Chemical in Canada 3.
Ontario Southland 1
There are at least 8 or 9 others around the U.S at industrial sites-off the top of my head.
If you include the S-13- the MLW version of the S-6, add approx 20 units.
There are at least 5 T-6's in the U.S off the top of my head. This includes # 1016 and 1017-the last 2 built

:-D

#474938  by Spartan Phalanx

Doesn't Ohio Central have the ex-Monongehela T-6 equipped with Hi-Ad trucks?

#474951  by Alcoman

Spartan Phalanx wrote:Doesn't Ohio Central have the ex-Monongehela T-6 equipped with Hi-Ad trucks?
You're right. Former MC 400 I think they also have an S-6 also.

#475174  by thebigham

Thanks!!!

#475387  by Mike Walsh

if they were interested in them, they'd buy them... that about sums it up.

#475393  by Alcoman

Mike Walsh wrote:if they were interested in them, they'd buy them... that about sums it up.
Its not quite that simple.. The (good)Holly Sugar S-6 has RB trucks, New Batteries and is Blue Carded. The asking price is $ 110,000 !
A bit steep for an Alco. A bit over priced in my opinion. I don't see a lot of shortlines with pockets that deep either.

#475403  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Alcoman, where are there 5 for sale?

#475446  by Alcoman

2 for sale in central TX for $15,000 each.
2 in California (Holly Sugar)
The 5th one was scrapped.

#475512  by tj48

With all the lights on the nose of the Holly Sugar unit am I correct in guessing that it's a former SP unit?