Railroad Forums 

• Griffiss Airforce Base Alco S1

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#454067  by Luther Brefo

During my last visit to Rome, NY, I spotted one Alco S1 painted for the US Air Force numbered in the 7000 series, I want to say it was 7370 but I do not fully recall the number. It was sitting on the same track the M420TR (number 27) is sitting on albeit further back in the "consist." The order of parked equipment was M420TR, RDC, F-something (#1500), ConnDOT coach, S1 in question, and finally VIA Coach.

The question is who owns this S1? Is it ADCX(Adirondack Scenic) property or is still owned by the US Governement? Does it run? Same question for the rebuilt General Electric 80 tonner (numbered 1670) that was parked on one of the two stubs going into the building. Who owns the 1670 as well? Just curios...

#454163  by The Man

The 7370 runs great! It is owned by GLDC a county development group. It has no batteries at this time but it was last used about three years ago. I think I was the last one to run it. What sticks the most in my mind of the 7370 is that you can't creep along with it. You pull out and she goes like hell!! Turns out the unit does not have soft start. 1670 is owned by GVT. Somehow they got it in that deal with eastcoast olive oil. It might just be leased to them but I was told it's now owned by GVT. The other units you saw are the 27 and M-403 owned by the CNY NRHS and the VIA sleeper is privately owned. The 1500 has a bad engine and the coach is a core.

JJ

#454424  by Luther Brefo

Thank you both for your answers. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Sounds like the 7370 is safe, she runs and she pulls.

#528554  by Brian57

The 7370 had been moved into the engine house recently and is now parked out front. I don't know why the work, or what she'll do now. If somebody wants a good look at her, now's the time when she's out in the open. I didn't have my camera with me, but I'll try to remember it tomorrow.

#529117  by Brian57

I remembered my camera:

#529139  by Alcoman

Note the presence of batteries. Why the super wide pilot both on the front and back ?

#529167  by BR&P

That pilot or snowplow looks like it would be dangerous to someone attempting to get on as the loco approaches!

#529392  by The Man

I belive it's being preped to replace the 705. Those plows are not all that bad at all. They look like it but you can get on and off just fine. We did for some time when she was in service on the base. Also note that one of the FB box covers is missing? It was like that on the night of the 11th of April.

JJ-

#529977  by Brian57

What is the 705?