Railroad Forums 

• Lake State Alcos

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#458245  by thebigham

Sh*t!!!

#458342  by EDM5970

Since we're back on Lake States, I'd like to say that my posting about crossover fuel lines, in a since locked post, was based on information from the web AND from a retired LSRC mechanical department official. This information came to me long BEFORE Mr. Kopkey did a post-mortem on the unit in question.

Needless to say, I'll be inspecting fuel gauge lines, as well as crossover lines, in the future.

The same official told me several months ago that the phase-out of the Alcos would be gradual, as opposed to sudden. Still, enjoy the Alcos while you can.

#458346  by Alcoman

I suspect that if Mike Wood was still CMO, this would not be happening.

#458414  by Patrick

I suspect you are right, but now he works at Marquette railroad and is loving their EMD's

#458436  by Alcoman

Don't forget that they 2 HR412's too.

#458575  by Patrick

yes, however the two they have aren't theirs and are there for mechanical work only. they will go to their owner when they are finished.

#458591  by 2spot

Patrick wrote:yes, however the two they have aren't theirs and are there for mechanical work only. they will go to their owner when they are finished.
Thats interesting. Whose are they?

#458722  by Patrick

They are owned by a private owner of whom, even if I knew, I couldn't post the gentalmans name.

#540289  by Alcoman

Someone needs to buy the remaining Alco/MLW's before the railroad sells them for scrap. That's 4 C425m's and 4 M420's.
Pass the word along to any railroad that runs Alcos.

#540401  by Lehighton_Man

hah, funny you mention those C425Ms. Im sure LA&L sub. WNY&P could've used them instead of those mock up SD45s to work until the big Centuries are ready.
Cheers.
Sean

#540454  by pablo

Sean, there is quite a bit of power at hand on the LAL family that needs to be fixed. The last thing that they need is more that doesn't work.

Dave Becker

#540455  by Alcoman

The eight locomotive I was referring to are in use as we speak, however I know that the C425's are in need of an overhaul since the last one they received was over 25 years ago!
 #550365  by Lehighton_Man

AS AN UPDATE:
for those who hae this months Trains Mag, it lists that the LSRC is keeping some ALCos to take the new traffic burden while newer GP40-3s are brought to service, Most the C424s and 2 M420Ws kept, but D&M RS2 and 2 other RS3ms didnt make the cut. It was said that those units are off the property and ethier are going to scrap or some other railroad.
I can care less about the RS3ms, we have qn abundance of them, its just the RS2 im concearned about, that is THE last RS2 in operational service. Anybody from Michigan know its whereabouts now?!?
I wouldnt want that to go to Scrap!!
Sean
 #550389  by Alcoman

Lehighton_Man wrote:AS AN UPDATE:
for those who hae this months Trains Mag, it lists that the LSRC is keeping some ALCos to take the new traffic burden while newer GP40-3s are brought to service, Most the C424s and 2 M420Ws kept, but D&M RS2 and 2 other RS3ms didnt make the cut. It was said that those units are off the property and ethier are going to scrap or some other railroad.
I can care less about the RS3ms, we have qn abundance of them, its just the RS2 im concearned about, that is THE last RS2 in operational service. Anybody from Michigan know its whereabouts now?!?
I wouldnt want that to go to Scrap!!
Sean
The 469, 974, and 975 are in safe hands. All three will be repaired and offered for lease or sale. The other Alcos are up for sale.