Railroad Forums 

• Electric City Trolley Museum in Scranton, PA

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#504950  by Red Arrow Fan

Does anyone know when this opens for the Spring?

Also, are there multiple trolleys that you can choose to ride, or do they just offer one (of their choosing) on a particular day?

Finally, how much time is needed to see everything (and take multiple rides, if possible)? Several hours? A full day? All weekend?

#504991  by JhnZ33

I believe your questions can be answered by visiting their website.

I believe only one car is currently operational. They are working on a few others, but I don't know when they will be ready for operation.

JP

#505049  by Red Arrow Fan

JhnZ33 wrote:I believe your questions can be answered by visiting their website.
No, it wasn't. I was on their website before posting my question here. It only says they will open in Spring 2008. (I was hoping someone knowledgeable about their past schedule would be able to estimate this for me. (i.e "1st weekend in April", "Memorial Day weekend", etc.)

Thanks anyway, jhnZ33

#505051  by JhnZ33

Red Arrow Fan wrote:
JhnZ33 wrote:I believe your questions can be answered by visiting their website.
No, it wasn't. I was on their website before posting my question here. It only says they will open in Spring 2008. (I was hoping someone knowledgeable about their past schedule would be able to estimate this for me. (i.e "1st weekend in April", "Memorial Day weekend", etc.)

Thanks anyway, jhnZ33
Sorry the website couldn't help you more. They do provide a phone number to call for further information though.

EDIT: Just called them. Excursions start April 2nd.

John

#506671  by Mr rt

For an exta treat consider a Red Baron's AA baseball game ...
the trolley will bring you there !

#506741  by Hebrewman9

chuchubob wrote:If you like trolleys, it;s a very worthwhile visit.

And of course your visit to ECTM can be augmented by a visit to Steamtown.
What's going on with the amfleet in the background?

I was in Scranton this summer, unaware of the existence of the trolley runs. Imagine my surprise when I see a center door car crossing a back street...

#507014  by tellu_whut

Hebrewman9 wrote:
chuchubob wrote:If you like trolleys, it;s a very worthwhile visit.

And of course your visit to ECTM can be augmented by a visit to Steamtown.
What's going on with the amfleet in the background?

I was in Scranton this summer, unaware of the existence of the trolley runs. Imagine my surprise when I see a center door car crossing a back street...
The Amfleet car in the background indicates, along with the other photos that chuchubob visited S-Town during the Lackawanna Railfest last November. This car, plus the tuscan cars in another photo, along with a bunch of other pieces, visited the park for that weekend.

While the trolley starts operation on April 2, you have to wait a bit for the Steam runs of the Scranton Limited. They will start April 19, if the steamer is ready, that is.

#509212  by Mr rt

The word is that 4-6-2 2317 needs to have her boiler serviced.
Interesting side note 2+3+1+7 = 13.
2317 has had a stressful career. Some say she was an unlucky engine, but she still alive & well & will be for some time to come.

#516482  by Montclaire

I was told they start up April 4th, maybe they will have a 'shakedown' run on the 2nd? To answer the earlier questions, there are several excursions during the day, and if they follow last year's schedule, they run wednesday through sunday. The museum has two cars that they run on a regular basis, but they usually save the bigger one for the baseball games. The operational cars are 'Red Arrow' cars from philly and were nearly scrapped a few years ago. The ride itself takes just over an hour (11 miles round trip), and I imagine you could spend about that in the museum as well, even though I went through it in about 25 mins. You'll get to see one of the longest trolley tunnels in the US, nearly a mile at 4747 feet, and a few minutes at the 'Trolley Works' to see what they have in progress.

#516545  by Otto Vondrak

Mr rt wrote:The word is that 4-6-2 2317 needs to have her boiler serviced.
Interesting side note 2+3+1+7 = 13.
2317 has had a stressful career. Some say she was an unlucky engine, but she still alive & well & will be for some time to come.
Let's keep this thread to Electric City Trolley Museum, please!

-otto-

#518025  by tellu_whut

Hi, Montclaire!
For once someone explains why the 80 runs sometimes and 76 on other times. 80 is the bigger car that takes the baseball runs. The trolley is always a good trip to take in Scranton, so plan a trip. It's almost April already.

#518893  by chuchubob

80 was in the shop during my Lackawanna Railfest visit in November.

#519458  by Mr rt

I didn't know that #80 was operational ... good to here that they have more then one car working.

BTW, both worked in Philly & both mfg by J.G. Brill there.