Railroad Forums 

• Pulling a coal train,,,...

• A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts
A forum for teen railroad enthusiasts

Moderator: TAMR213

#613870  by drewcarr1

As an engineer is there a difference say in pulling a coal train compared to say a general merchandise train or container,piggy back train//??..which is harder to pull??
 #613894  by UPRR engineer

Your kidding right? I'm gonna put this in Teen Railfan Forum where they might answer your question a little nicer.
 #613902  by UPRR engineer

You werent there buddy, not being mean here, but dont they still teach a little physics in high school. I moved it to save you from getting called an idiot and there for saving your skin. I dont mind engineer questions in the Operations forum, but isnt stuff like that common sense.... You should have changed the way you asked.
 #614325  by Otto Vondrak

Hey Drew-

1) Commas are different from periods.

2) What's in a train doesn't matter so much. Coal, merchandise, trash, gummi bears etc. The length of the train, how many engines, and what kind of grade profile (lots of hills and mountains? flat land prairie?) all make a difference.

3) UPRR Engineer's remark about physics pretty much relates to point No. 1. And he was saving your skin by moving your question to keep a bunch of crusty old railroaders from jumpin' all over you. Simply take some time to think out your question and the way you might phrase it. Perhaps you meant to ask, "What factors can make a freight train hard to pull?"

-otto-
 #614677  by WSH

Well you guys are jumping the gun and talking physics you are forgetting some important aspects of coal hauling. There are not a lot of differnences as far as how to pull one type of frieght over another but at least here in WV pulling coal is completely different than anything else. Pulling coal will take you to places in this state where the railroad can be temporary and located in terrain vastly different than any mainline railroad. There are also very different rules when the coal trains themselves are operating on active MTR or strip mines.
 #615429  by BR&P

I didn't see the original post when it first appeared. Was he asking which actually PULLED harder, or which was harder to HANDLE? For example, a solid coal train is easier to figure out than a mixed consist, especially if they have been nice enough to put a bunch of heavy loads to the rear.
 #615922  by drewcarr1

I was just trying to figure out which is harder to handle??? Seems like a coal train would be very heavy...
 #619372  by slchub

When I was in freight I would rather have a coal or grain train than a mixed manifest or auto train. The units trains (coal and grain) are usually the same cars with the same braking abilities and tonnage throughout. While it may take longer to get up to speed, once you are up to speed it is pretty easy to operate depending upon the territory and how well you know the territory.
 #619614  by NV290

slchub wrote:When I was in freight I would rather have a coal or grain train than a mixed manifest or auto train. The units trains (coal and grain) are usually the same cars with the same braking abilities and tonnage throughout. While it may take longer to get up to speed, once you are up to speed it is pretty easy to operate depending upon the territory and how well you know the territory.
Bingo. Weight is not really the issue. You can take two 100 car trains each weighing (for example) 12,000 tons. And each with three modern six axle units.

Train #1 is 100 loaded coal cars.

Train #2 is 100 assorted loaded cars (Boxcars, tankcars, gons, etc)

The coal train will be MUCH easier to handle as all the cars are pretty much identical. Same braking system, same length, same drawbar configuration, same load profile, etc.

The EASIEST trains to handle are long, heavy unit trains. Mixed freights are a pain due to all the variables in cars. Loads and empties brake differently. Tank cars and cushion cars introduce annoying handling characteristics and the varying length of each car all make things alot more complicated.

Hell, id rather a 12,000 ton loaded coal train without dynamics, over a 6,000 ton mixed freight. At least coal trains are predictable.
 #619859  by slchub

And on a side note, now that I run passenger, I find that I am doing much more to handle/control my train (2 motors, bag car and 9 coaches) than I ever did in freight!
 #619873  by NV290

slchub wrote:And on a side note, now that I run passenger, I find that I am doing much more to handle/control my train (2 motors, bag car and 9 coaches) than I ever did in freight!
You probably are!

I know the easiest trains to handle are long and heavy. So the idea of a super short train with the added challenge of having the cars filled with people, who in many instances are walking, standing or drinking hot coffee would certainly add to the challenges. At least when i run a train, if i have a short "mental vacation" and get a small run in, nobody will complain except my Conductor (if he is awake), but passenger service? I give you guys credit.
 #621560  by drewcarr1

These are the kind of answers i was looking for... thanks alot guys..I learned something today!!!!