Railroad Forums 

• working at a railroad as a second career

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1019716  by nick tahou

I am going to retire from a job in law enforcement in about 5 years. I will be moving from the NYC area back to upstate NY (rochester). That is where I am from originally. I have often thought about working on a railroad. In fact, at one point in my policing career I was not very happy with the agency I was with and considered resigning and going into railroading at that point. Thankfully, i had a transfer and I realized it was not the agency but the precinct where I was working. So I stayed and had a great career. I will be retiring in 5 years and will be 43 years old. I am starting to consider a second career. My grandfather worked on the railroad (he worked at the P & L Junction in Caledonia, NY) and my mother often told me stories about him and the Genesee and Wyoming Railroad went behind my grandparent's house in MUmford, NY. I guess that is how I became interested in railroading as a child.
I was considering Genesee and Wyoming, Livonia, Avon, and Lakeville, or possibly CSX as an employer. I have been doing some reasearch and it seems some people are not that happy with their jobs. (this usually applies to the bigger railroads). What are the pros and cons working on the railroad? How about bigger railroads vs. smaller railroads? Is it difficult going into railroading at an older age? Is it a rewarding and enjoyable career. I did not mention it before but I wanted to be a conductor and possibly and engineer. Another thing, I wanted to move back with my family in the Rochester area, so I want to work in that area. Thanks for everyones advice.
 #1019744  by Gadfly

I think this has been well covered on the forum. Yet people keep coming back to this theme. I think it is that people, despite the warnings posted here, they simply don't believe what we say. Their mind is already made up with this picture of sweet wittle twains wunning awound the Chwistmas Twee! This is fueled by a persistent romantic image painted by the media while the real picture lies somewhere within those negative posts and the actuality of the railroad life. From *my* perspective of having lived it and retired, I do, indeed, have a cynical view of the industry that wonders WHY would someone want to retire from one job in their 40's, then undertake a new one at a time in their lives when their bodies----even tho imperceptively---are beginning to slow down. Why would someone want to be away from home days at a time? Why would they want to miss their family's activities, school functions (if kids), ball games, etc, and go to the BOTTOM of some seniority list where he will likely work for YEARS before landing a decent billet, or be constantly "bumped" off one job to another? Why would they give up their weekends for a tuesday-wednesday rest day (if THAT). Why would someone want to go onto another job where they can never hope to collect a FULL pension from the railroad unless he works into his 70's(and the chances of being able to remain healthy that long is remote) instead of retiring at 60 at FULL benefits.
Then there's the atmosphere that exists on MOST, maybe not all, Class I railroads. How would you like being FIRED because the engineer busted thru a red board, and they fire YOU, too, because you are part of the 'team" that caused it? Do you like "guilt by association"? That's what it amounts to! Do you like being SCREAMED and CURSED at by a wild-eyed Trainmaster because you set out a car at the wrong location even tho the waybill SAID so? OH, yes! It happens!!!!
The railroad life IS interesting, that is true. You will see many things the public doesn't encounter if you like machinery. But is it really WORTH it to your family life, time with your children, events you will miss, your HEALTH sacrificed to the altar of the railroad?

Truly, I AM presenting the worst-case scenerio. It might not BE that bad. But it CAN!!!! Often IS! If it hadn't been for the archaic and abusive environment, I could call my career an interesting one---one that included most of the machinery I mentioned, situations---even handling steam train operations as a train order clerk/block operator--all part of a career that train buffs drool and slobber over. But I am telling you, it AIN'T what people THINK it is! It is something that has be seen from the inside to be believed! The US public has traditionally been enamoured with trains, taught to think of railroading as this sweet, wonderful world of twains and choo choos. Think carefully before you leap! I can't tell you what to do. If it were ME retiring from non-railroad work, I'd go get me a part-time job at a florist delivering flowers or at Walmart and forget "a childhood dream" of working on the railroad. But that's only me coming from having BEEN a railroader!

Gadfly
 #1019803  by nick tahou

I appreciate your response. Keep in mind I will have have my pension from being a police officer ( i am not just leaving) and if I do not get a railroad pension it is not really a concern to me. My plan was to only work for the railroad for 5-10 years. I am use to shift work and working holidays too. Are the smaller railroads better to work for? I have heard that they are. That is why I was asking about GWRR and LA&L RR. Thanks again.
 #1019846  by jz441

nick tahou wrote: Are the smaller railroads better to work for? I have heard that they are.
On smaller railroads (short lines) you work twice as hard for half of the money. The only trade off is that most short lines have regular (scheduled) hours and you don't spend time away from home. Every railroad is different and every region withing the same railroad is different in every aspect... From treatment of employees to type of work and pay. There are great and highly undesirable areas to railroad.
You should explore the exact area that you want to work in and find out what is it like, the pay, work... etc.
After 14 years I still find my job as an engineer very rewarding, but there are some railroads where I wouldn't remotely consider seeking employment.
 #1019892  by wishbone

Relatively new to the site. I myself have to decided to change careers having owned my own business for 20 + years. I am looking forward to the new challenges that this career choice has to offer. I have a redi start date of approx. end of March. Considering the recent health care increases in the past 6 years (350%), I look forward of bringing my work/life expierences to the table. Having been self employed for so many years you tend to look at things from a different perspective. For the past 5 years, considering all of the increases in operating a business, working very similar "on call" hours, never being able to schedule a vacation, the job always being for front in thought, at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. It may take me until I am 70 to retire, but at least there is an end. The retirement, or the promise of the retirement and benifits look mighty attractive. I really have enjoyed reading all of the posts on this site and can see alot of collective wisdom at hand. From what I have read there are alot of intelligent people in this industry and looking forward to working with them. By the way, my redi date is for a conductors position.
 #1020044  by Jbeale73

wishbone wrote:Relatively new to the site. I myself have to decided to change careers having owned my own business for 20 + years. I am looking forward to the new challenges that this career choice has to offer. I have a redi start date of approx. end of March. Considering the recent health care increases in the past 6 years (350%), I look forward of bringing my work/life expierences to the table. Having been self employed for so many years you tend to look at things from a different perspective. For the past 5 years, considering all of the increases in operating a business, working very similar "on call" hours, never being able to schedule a vacation, the job always being for front in thought, at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. It may take me until I am 70 to retire, but at least there is an end. The retirement, or the promise of the retirement and benifits look mighty attractive. I really have enjoyed reading all of the posts on this site and can see alot of collective wisdom at hand. From what I have read there are alot of intelligent people in this industry and looking forward to working with them. By the way, my redi date is for a conductors position.
Lucky. Ive been ready hire since Dec 21 and all I can get fro
Hr is that they are trying for mar h to get me to redi. I really don't know yet
 #1020050  by COEN77

If you're only considering 5-10 years than go for the shortline railroads. Leave the class 1's like CSX to someone who needs a carreer. I know military retirees who went the shortline route they like it. It's shift work no out of town trips. It affords them to still have a life. On the class 1's like CSX there isn't any life it's being on call 24/7/365. Railroads like CSX have attendance policies which I don't think would fit in your situation. If the purpose to move is to be around family then CSX isn't the place. You're family would hardly ever see you.
 #1020051  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

wishbone i went from working 9 years for a class 1 RR to my own business . you want to do the opposite? the RR is NOTHING like being self employeed, my advice stay away. to the cop who is retiring, the question is WHY? the RR is not a "second job" or
"something to do" after retirement. my advice stay away! sorry guys,but thats coming from someone who has seen both sides of the coin...........they don't care a crap about you,just saying.
 #1020055  by nick tahou

I want to do it because I am eligible for retirement in 5 years. I want to move closer to my family. It is a job that I have always been interested in and I wanted to know, if it was available, should I take it.
 #1020137  by gp80mac

We can't answer that for you.

But personally, if I was able to retire when I was only in my 40s, I'd take a job where I could have regular, scheduled weekends and holidays off to enjoy retirement. Believe me, the novelty of working for the railroad wears off real fast. There's always tourist railroads and museums you could volunteer free time if you wanted to.
 #1020219  by freightguy

I work in commuter rail and we have some retired cops and firemen in transportation and engine(T&E), who seem to enjoy the work and find it rewarding. I also worked on a shortline and people from what I perceived better jobs or second careers liked that alot more also. With the shortline hours people had jobs on the side even though we made a decent buck. From what I read and now having friends& co-workers that worked in Class One freight it seems like it can be really demanding. On the shortline employment basically everybody came in through somebody already working there.

I cannot phathom paying for one of those railroad colleges when the Class One carrier is going to send to their school and pay you for training. Those academies almost seem like a pay to play scheme, not even guaranteeing employment.