Railroad Forums 

• Freight in Philadelphia, PA

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1002599  by Miz860

Hello I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how much work I can expect to have in Philadelphia, PA for Norfolk Southern as a train Conductor???????? I know that as a rookie I will be on that extra board so trying to see what my weeks could possibly look like????? Thanks in advance.
 #1002795  by hbgdispatcher

You will work out of Abrams Yard in King of Prussia - all jobs out of there are local or yard jobs so you will be home after every shift. You will work yard jobs in Abrams Yard, in Morrisville Yard, and road locals to various other points like Reading, Coatesville, Stoney Creek, Edgemoor, South Philly and Camden, as well as running coal trains to Carneys Point NJ. Off the xtra list you may also recrew trains to Harrisburg occasionally.
 #1002944  by Miz860

hbgdispatcher wrote:You will work out of Abrams Yard in King of Prussia - all jobs out of there are local or yard jobs so you will be home after every shift. You will work yard jobs in Abrams Yard, in Morrisville Yard, and road locals to various other points like Reading, Coatesville, Stoney Creek, Edgemoor, South Philly and Camden, as well as running coal trains to Carneys Point NJ. Off the xtra list you may also recrew trains to Harrisburg occasionally.
Thats good news i am excited about the journey that i am aabout to make. So i can expect to have a good work schedule or will i be only called for work once a week as the new guy????
 #1003513  by hbgdispatcher

You wIll be on the extra list and they are not guarenteed on NS so you will only get paid for the days you work. You may work a lot one week and then only once or twice the next,that is life on the board. It all depends on how busy the railroad is and how many vacancies there are to cover. Expect the unexpected and best of luck to you.
 #1003596  by Miz860

Thank you very much what does it mean to recrew a train out of Harrisburg also with the xtra board not being guaranteed do you have any idea how that would effect me being in Philadelphia do they get alot of work and how long will i be on a xtra board does that go by performance or seniority if someone has been there for 4 more months then me but is a $h!* bag when it comes to work will he still be called before me???
 #1003915  by hbgdispatcher

A train crew by law can work for 12 hours, if they cannot make it to destination by then they "outlaw" And need a "recrew" in other words another crew will be called to finish the work, usually off the extra list. Every job you do on the railroad will be determined by seniority, every job when vacant goes to the most senior person who bids it. Now when you are able to hold only the extra list, your seniority will only determine if you can hold the extra list, say you are the 13th person on a 13 person extra board and the company cuts the board so that it only holds 12 people you will be the odd man out. When you actually wOrk on a extra list it goes 1st in, 1st out, in other words you work a job, then go to the bottom Of the list and move up as the people ahead of you get called out. Once you get back to the top, you get the next job that needs filled. For what it is worth, they have been short of people in the Philly area lately, so as long as traffic holds up you should get a decent amount of work. It's the railroad so you never know.
 #1003949  by gp80mac

And if you seniority somehow wasn't enough to hold Philly for whatever reason, then there is Reading, Harrisburg, Allentown....