Railroad Forums 

• Replacing a knuckle.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#996836  by COEN77

pippins71 wrote:Thats ok but there is nothing in rule103 about restricted speed when shoving any where but rule46 says controled speed on tracks other than main track or signal track must not exceed 10mph (yard) 5mph in service area or car shop
That's what I was trying to look up in my old rule books the other day "controlled speed". The other one that eludes me which I did a lot on pushers after detaching from a train was getting permission to make a reverse movement in a block it can be run to the next signal if conditions permit a speed that allows stopping short of obstructions ect...not exceeding 40 mph this would be on track that is signalled in both directions. Was that also called controlled speed? Under Rule 47 when there is a signal suspension or running against the current of traffic and the TD authorizes block movement it's max 49 mph for freight and 59 mph for passenger. Being retired you start forgetting a lot of terms seeing not using them everyday. lol
 #998804  by RoYLanDz

Is there any thread that has a complete guide on how to replace a knuckle?
And how to maintain it on its best feature.
 #999864  by jr145

RoYLanDz wrote:And how to maintain it on its best feature.

Huh?
 #999942  by jr145

As far as replacing the knuckle its fairly straightforward.

You take the pin out, pull the lever (while out of the way of course).

If the knuckle doesn't drop pull it out yourself.

Keep the lever up, put the new knuckle in.

Put the pin back in.

Open and close the knuckle once or twice to make sure it works right.

The end.
 #1005023  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

watch what you say on here folks,dont give away too much info ,that is not needed.
 #1005290  by jr145

RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:watch what you say on here folks,dont give away too much info ,that is not needed.

Too much info? What is someone gonna do, go into a yard and randomly start changing knuckles?
 #1005706  by kevin.brackney

I suppose an individual with vandalism on their agenda could wreak a certain amount of havoc by dropping a large number of knuckles onto the ground.
 #1005903  by AJLB

Don't forget, if a knuckle brakes on the road and it breaks close to the Power on a grade, you are probably going to have to set the handbrake on EVERY car south of the break before you can even think of changing the Knuckle!!!!!!! That may be a lot of brakes. You need 50' between the cars where you are working and you need to ensure the Standing Cars won't roll!!!
 #1006043  by COEN77

kevin.brackney wrote:I suppose an individual with vandalism on their agenda could wreak a certain amount of havoc by dropping a large number of knuckles onto the ground.
They don't need to do that much besides need a hammer ect...I've had trespassers pull pins on trains. Heck of a delay on a 150 coal hoppers. After that always kept the train streached out if in a populated area.
 #1008170  by jr145

Agreed, multiple pulled pins are more likely than someone trying to drop knuckle. and if the cotter pin is still in no one is going to bother.
 #1017478  by supernova1972

One of our guys in Avon was on a coal train in Nashville and not only had someone pull his cut lever, but they even closed but angle cocks on him lol. Didnt even know he had lost half of his train until his HTD showed a FRNOCOM when they got to far away lol.
 #1017625  by COEN77

supernova1972 wrote:One of our guys in Avon was on a coal train in Nashville and not only had someone pull his cut lever, but they even closed but angle cocks on him lol. Didnt even know he had lost half of his train until his HTD showed a FRNOCOM when they got to far away lol.
I knew a train crew that left about 20 cars on the main after getting a knuckle. After the conductor replaced the knuckle then got the train together it showed on the gauges air pressure coming back up being restored this was before EOT's were required on trains when we were using FRA Lights on the rear 70% of the time. Train moved easily the engineer took off it was about 15 miles from home. It turned out there was a second knuckle the airhose on the rear car still intact which they didn't check got lodged up crimped and trapped the air. LOL! Local TM & YM covered it up. Sent a yard crew to get the rest of the train seeing it was less than 25 miles out of the terminal. In CSX style a bulliten was established about walking entire train after a separation.