Railroad Forums 

• Getting hired after being dismissed by Class 1

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1224283  by jz441

I would say that you are finished with class I railroads, but that shouldn't stop you from applying with short lines. I know people who got fired from class I and have been short line railroading happily for years.
 #1224299  by Freddy

You might try applying for a job in a different craft like track or signals if you still want to be associated with the railroad. I don't think you'll have much luck getting back into transportation.
 #1224340  by Desertdweller

Smaller railroads, especially short lines, tend to hire the most qualified people they can get. You might get hired on in the Transportation Dept. of one of these, especially if your incident was an isolated case and not part of a pattern of violations.

If you can get some years in with the smaller railroad, and have a good record there, you may be able to demonstrate to another Class One you would be a good employee.

Getting fired is not the worst thing, but is probably the worst thing a railroad can do to you. It pales by comparison to what the FRA can do to you. They can fine you, put you in jail, or ban you from working in the industry.

Don't try to cover up what happened. You will be found out. Much better to come clean and ask for another chance to prove yourself.

Railroads, especially Class Ones, spend large amounts of money to train their employees. This can mean a significant savings to another railroad, maybe enough to tempt them to take a chance on you to save having to train someone else.

Les
 #1228775  by Engineer Spike

This sounds fishy. I'm sure that the case would have gone to an investigation ( kangaroo court). It then would be appealed, Next it goes to arbitration. This is unless you signed a letter accepting the blame.If you didn't sign off, wait for the appeals process. You might find a shortline in the mean time. The only other explanation is that this incident was so drastic that there is small hope of a favourable appeal.
 #1229394  by COEN77

Engineer Spike wrote:This sounds fishy. I'm sure that the case would have gone to an investigation ( kangaroo court). It then would be appealed, Next it goes to arbitration. This is unless you signed a letter accepting the blame.If you didn't sign off, wait for the appeals process. You might find a shortline in the mean time. The only other explanation is that this incident was so drastic that there is small hope of a favourable appeal.
Even under FRA decertification there is a step process. If I remember right 1st offense 30 days, 2nd 1 year, 3rd 5 years. This doesn't stop the railroad from adding their own discipline which could be up to termination. Unless someone signs a waiver it should go through the appeal process ect...which can be lenghty. I've seen some real screw ups get their job back within a 1 to 1 1/2 years mostly without benefit of getting any reembursement of time lose with a probation period.
 #1229591  by jz441

COEN77 wrote: I've seen some real screw ups get their job back within a 1 to 1 1/2 years ...
Unfortunately, those are the ones that make us all look bad. Railroading isn't for everyone.
 #1286858  by MR77100

I was working for UP as a Coonductor and was on the final day of my probation period and was fired for riding the front of a tank car! I was instructed to by the mentor I was working with and he said it was alright. Now I am afraid that my childhood dream is shattered.
 #1286905  by COEN77

MR77100 wrote:I was instructed to by the mentor I was working with and he said it was alright. Now I am afraid that my childhood dream is shattered.
That's the kicker just because someone says it's alright it doesn't mean it is. You had the right to do it like the UP wants it done by the rules. You chose not to because someone told you it was alright. You should of known the correct way of riding a tanker. At least that's what UP would think seeing you were on your last day of probation. I had a lot of arguements during my carreer with conductors wanting to do things by violating rules, I won all of them because I was the locomotive engineer and I wouldn't move the locomtives without it being done correctly. I know different scenario but still the same no one can force anyone to violate a rule.
 #1286970  by slchub

I agree with CEON77.

The best thing to do is STOP and start talking and asking questions. I always tell the crew I'm working with the first time I meet them that I'd rather us all talk something out or take a delay and look like a fool or stupid than to sit around for 4 hours to take a piss test, write a statement and worry about an investigation.