Railroad Forums 

• Pittstown/Clinton Branch info needed

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#661861  by SledDawg

Hello all.

As a result of a recent meeting with a local historian, I've been re-energized to work on my research of the Pittstown/Clinton Branch of the LV. I've learned that the town and Hunterdon County are finally working to stabilize and restore the Pittstown station, outhouse and nearby area.

I'm trying to put it all together into a monograph/website/walking tour guide that can be shared with all. I look to Mr. Lord as a role-model, with his New Woodstock research and website!

There's not too much info on this branch, and few pictures. I'm familiar with most of the web-based sources and photos, including the timetables, and traffic tabulation in the late years, and the great site the Franklin Township Historical Society has (I am working with their librarian...) and I've been trolling for postcard views on eBay for years, with some success. There are more pictures of the Clinton end than the Pittstown side.

I'm really looking for any photos or operational details over the years. Photos, drawings, details, stories, etc, that I'd be very interested in:

* specific locomotives and rolling stock used on the branch over the years
* anything at Landsdown, in particular
- the water tower (the foundation is still there)
- the freight platforms or other structures on the south side of the main (there are some ruins), and
the "mini-wye" there that is indicated in track diagrams
- the bar that was nearby
- the sort-of flophouse that the LV used to house the track gang (thanks to the guys who told their stories of living nearby in the old days...)
* the crossing at Sidney Road
* the mill/distillery/pesticide plant at Kingtown "back in the day" - was there a siding there?
* the crossing at Kingtown Road - was there a station there?
* the Pittstown Peach Exchange - I have the "famous" picture, are there any others, particularly late in the branch's history?
* the icehouse and coal dock in Clinton

Any reminisences, stories, names of employees, customers, etc. Are the Bednar brothers still active online? Did either of them work the branch? Is James E. Mack still around? He helped with some questions a few years ago...

"It's all good", as I'd like to put it all together before it's all gone. The smallest tidbit can lead to many other things.

Any help appreciated. I will also post this to the other relevant LV and anthracite lists.

I know it's a lot of questions, and I would be happy for contacts off-line so it's not taking up bandwidth. Thanks for any help and/or pointers.

Dave Goessling
 #662281  by Railjourner

"I'm trying to put it all together into a monograph/website/walking tour guide that can be shared with all."

This is great to hear! :-D I have a copy of your "A Walking History Tour of the Central Railroad of NJ in High Bridge, NJ" and I think its great. I wish I could have been there for the tour you ran last fall but I had to work. Can't wait to read your guide on the LV's Pittstown/Clinton branches. Good luck to you.