Railroad Forums 

• Surviving L&HR Stations

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#129480  by NJ Vike

David,

I will be taking a look sometime this week.

#145400  by rhallock

About two miles north of Warwick along the tracks is a building marked "Stone Bridge Station" on one end. It doesn't look like a station, more like an old creamery. Does anyone know what is is/was?
 #146901  by Marty Feldner

That building was the farmer's Grange, at Wisner (originally known as Stone Bridge). From the 'Warwick History' website, here's a photo of the building from 1906:

http://albertwisnerlibrary.org/~wisner/ ... ckTown.htm

There was a station there (2 in fact, over the years). This is the second one, built around 1910, looking toward Suger Loaf; milk can shed, freight house, station, a couple of small outbuildings (probably outhouses), and in the background the creamery. The bridge carried what is now Wisner Road over the tracks. It was only replaced with a grade crossing about 15 years ago. The Grange building would have been over the photographer's right shoulder. (my collection)

Here's one, of the far corner of the station, a few years later- under less than ideal circumstances. The boxcar had dropped a brake beam that picked the frog of the creamery switch. If it had been loaded rather than empty, it would have demolished the station. (Femi Roeker collection)

I took this one in '76, from the road bridge, looking toward Warwick. The Grange building can be seen through the trees next to the locomotives. The creamery and station buildings were to the left of the train.

As a point of interest, all of the circa 1910 stations between Warwick and Greycourt (Wisner, Lake, Sugar Loaf and East Chester) were built to the same plan. The one at Suger Loaf (originally at East Chester) is the only one remaining.

#148581  by rhallock

Great pictures, Marty. Thanks. I never knew all that was there before.

#160017  by David

Any Allamunchy Freight House updates?--Also--need to get this forum moving a bit :-D -- Anyone? Anyone?

#160055  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Any Allamunchy Freight House updates?--Also--need to get this forum moving a bit :-D -- Anyone? Anyone?

David,

Sorry, I forgot to take a look. I will be heading out there today to see if any progress has been made.

Hope you and Mike enjoyed your trip up here to North Jersey. Did you or Mike post any pictures from your trip up here?

Ken

#160437  by JJMDiMunno

Ken,
Yes, I did post a series of images from our North Jersey adventure...they can be seen on the NJ Railfan forum, at the link below:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14717

We never made it to the Allamunchy freight house again this time around...maybe next year...

Take care.

Mike DiMunno

#160445  by NJ Vike

Hello Mike.

Glad to hear. I will drop by there now.

I did go there last night. Since I haven't been there since last year, I will do a comparision between the photos I took yesterday and the ones I took last year. It appears that some work has been done since I went there. I believe new wood was put in and some paint. Overall, it looks very solid. It's very nice of the people working on this project.

I'm still amazed the kids haven't harmed it. There were some ATVs riding by it yesterday but they didn't give the place a second look.

#161079  by David

Hi Ken--Dodging hurricanes here--lol---Enjoyed the North Jersey trip. Next trip up I want to revisit Warwick NY, especially the station, Also I would like to see the old yard and administration building. I am guessing it is located near Pelton Road. Did you ever find out if there had been a derailment in Franklin? Remember the tie damage there?---

#161385  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Hi Ken--Dodging hurricanes here--lol---Enjoyed the North Jersey trip. Next trip up I want to revisit Warwick NY, especially the station, Also I would like to see the old yard and administration building. I am guessing it is located near Pelton Road. Did you ever find out if there had been a derailment in Franklin? Remember the tie damage there?---
Hello David,

Hope all is well down there.

Let me know when yoou decide to come up this way and I can show you and Mike aroun that area.

Yes, the L&HR did derail there but I don't remember the exact date. I will check and let you know.

#163928  by NJ Vike

JJMDiMunno wrote:Ken,
Yes, I did post a series of images from our North Jersey adventure...they can be seen on the NJ Railfan forum, at the link below:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14717

We never made it to the Allamunchy freight house again this time around...maybe next year...

Take care.

Mike DiMunno
Mike,

I took a ride back down to Allamuchy to take some pictures to compare and see if any additional work was done. After viewing the recent and past photos I took, nothing appears to have been done on the outside.

I did make it to Paulsboro the other day and saw quite a few CSX engines and one Conrail unit. I will be posting pictures soon.

#188708  by David

Thanks for the great pictures!--I was wondering what was going on there. The last time I observed the freight house was a year ago this past summer with Mike DiMunno. At that time, it had a blue tarp on the roof (similar to all the blue tarps on the houses here in Naples, Florida now). I know it will be difficult to answer, but what is the projected time that we might see the station started? Maybe a segment of track in front of the structures would add a nice effect. Thanks.....
 #665664  by njmidland

Platforms have been added to both sides of the Allamuchy freight house. I would really like to see a few sections of rail put down and a 40 foot boxcar parked there for unloading...

#665688  by NJ Vike

Nice updated pics. Thanks for sharing!!!!