Railroad Forums 

• Cornest Lumber Company along the LV

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#663137  by LV270

Looking to see if anyone ever heard of the Cornest Lumber Co? Have a picture with an LV F unit with this company in the background. Picture from the 1950's.
Tring to find the location , Believe it to be in the Sayre area, North or a branch line. Thanks
 #663145  by scottychaos

Croft lumber was in Sayre, right along the single-track line that connects the Sayre yard with the Erie in Waverly..
(still there actually, although hasnt been a rail customer in decades..)

never heard of a Cornest lumber though..

Scot
 #752542  by scottychaos

LV270 wrote:Picture of this locationon ,LV web site, anyone know this location, Thanks

http://www.lvrr.com/index.php?album=%2F ... 12-112.jpg
Could be Sayre..
just east (compass south) of the Sayre station and the Packer ave bridge..
(train would be eastbound, just beyond the Sayre passenger station)
Lumber building would be on the east side of the tracks..
mountain in the background would be across the Susquehanna, looks like a good match..
and the tracks also match..

Scot
 #752746  by RailKevin

I, too, thought about the compass East side of the tracks due to the shadows. The lumber building has a very unique roof line, and so should be easy to spot on aerial photos if it still existed. A search using Google Earth did not reveal its location.

Since the photo was taken next to an "F" unit, I wonder if it was attached to a road train that just arrived or is ready to depart (as opposed to a local switch job). If so, are there any particular places in the Sayre Yard where such a train would sit while awaiting further instructions?
 #757289  by lehighboy

The photo might have been taken just to the south of the lockhart St. bridge looking east from the old mail building.
The buildings are all torn down there now but the area was know as the "bricks" because of all the old railroad housing buildings "Eastside".
The Label factory is the only structure over there know.The ash tracks where over there where the dumped the ashes from the shop.
 #776281  by lehighboy

The name of the Lumber yard is Cornnaby and it is in sayre on the east side of the yards just south of the lockhart St. bridge looking east.
Still trtying to identify the conductor via the local paper.
 #778162  by scottychaos

lehighboy wrote:The name of the Lumber yard is Cornnaby and it is in sayre on the east side of the yards just south of the lockhart St. bridge looking east.
Still trtying to identify the conductor via the local paper.
Thanks! :P
many of us suspected Sayre all along..thanks for confirming it!

Actually the spelling is CORNEBY lumber.
I found an obituary for Frank G. Corneby of Sayre, here:
http://www.joycetice.com/obitcemb/tpobitcl.htm

"Frank G. Corneby, 78, of the Corneby Lumber Company and a resident of the Valley practically all his life, died at 8:10 last night at the LaPlant Nursing Home in Tioga Center, N.Y. after a lengthy illness. Mr. Corneby was born in Smithfield Township, but spent most of his life in the Valley. He was a member of the Athens Methodist church. He started in the lumber business in 1904 on Desmond street in Athens but after a fire in 1919, moved the business to its present location in Sayre."

Once you know the spelling, Corneby, you can see it clearly on the sign:

http://www.lvrr.com/index.php?album=%2F ... e=original

funny how that works! the sign was unclear before, but totally clear after the spelling is confirmed..

Scot
 #778312  by lehighboy

Yes, and the bridge the f unit was parked just past was the Packer Ave. bridge not Lockhart as I typed.

i still have a few of the old guard my family knows.We are trying to ID the engineer.