Railroad Forums 

• Lancaster Downtown Terminal - Information Wanted

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#601097  by canarytops

While on vacation in Lancaster recently I was looking around Dillerville Yard and noted a linear park which from Google Earth appears to be a trackbed. I have found reference to a (demolished) downtown terminal. I'm assuming this was a Reading terminal but haven't been able to find any further information. Can anyone confirm that this was a Reading main line and or provide further information about the terminal (a photo link would be great :-D )
 #601819  by JimBoylan

The Reading terminal was near the Dillerville yard, I think on the West side of Liberty St. near New St. The adjacent Freight Station may still be standing.
The Philadelphia & Columbia station, later used as the old Pennsylvania Railroad station, was downtown, near Market & Walnut Sts. It was not a terminal, but a station with a through train shed.
 #601862  by JimBoylan

Here's the link to the April 29, 1940 aerial photo. By that time, the downtown PRR station is a vacant lot. I can't tell if the Reading passenger terminal is still standing. It may be the building with the narrow triangular driveways on the West side of Liberty St. between Frederick and James Sts. The buildings just to the North are probably for the Reading Company Freight station. Unfortunately, that area is a baseball stadium today.

http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/photos1940 ... 102141.jpg
 #609856  by JJSmith

kp5308 wrote:Freight station view from May 2008....undergoing renovation at that time. It is located across from the present day NS Dillerville yard office:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1150158

This is definitely NOT the Reading Freight Station in Lancaster, PA. I will post a photo of at least a model of the correct station soon. It was a two story square building on Prince Street with a covered platform running out the rear. Its was located where the Clipper Magazine baseball stadium, where the Lancaster Barnstormers play, stands today.
 #609976  by JJSmith

I don't, but I know who does. I will get back to you.

Here is that photo of the Reading RR's Lancaster, PA freight station model.
Attachments:
IMG_1622 copy.jpg
IMG_1622 copy.jpg (137.01 KiB) Viewed 3706 times
 #609978  by JimBoylan

That other building was served by the PRR, the Champion Center sign is where its siding was, the tracks that were to the left of the sign were the original Main Line through downtown Lancaster. Charlotte St. on the right has a PRR branch in its right parking lane. It has a siding to a customer behind this building.
 #610359  by JJSmith

Here is what I was able to dig up on the building mentioned above:

It was Champion Blower and Forge. The area to the left of the building was fenced in but their was a rail siding through it.
 #710390  by GP30 5513

Not to bring this thread back from the reaches of the grave.....

I remember seeing the Reading Company freight station as a boy along Prince Street. Unfortunately, the structure was badly damaged in a fire in the early 1990s when a homeless man crawled into a portion of the building with a candle to keep warm from the frigid temperatures of the winter nights. When he awoke, the candle had ignited many of his surroundings. I was in 5th grade at the time [which puts the fire around early 1992], and still remember those bits and pieces from the Lancaster New Era article.

After the rest of the structure was demolished, the lot remained vacant for a number of years until Lancaster showed interest in having its own baseball team and stadium. After the location on Fruitville Pike across from Red Rose Commons was nixed, they decided to build where the stadium now rests. The only things that remain of the Reading Company around the Dillerville Yard area is a few tracks, easily viewed from the Pedestrian Bridge connecting F&M with a parking lot.