Railroad Forums 

• Street running

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1641231  by TrainTrackToby

What do y'all think is the busiest section of streetrunning track? I mean actual streetrunning not tracks in the median of a road like in ashland.
 #1641243  by ExCon90

I would think UP on the Embarcadero in Oakland, CA; 2 main tracks in pavement, in mixed traffic with cross streets, used by Coast Starlight, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, and UP double-stack trains.
 #1641270  by Gilbert B Norman

Michigan City. IN has got to be "in the running" with the C,SS,&SB operating trains (mostly passenger) down a busy street.

Also, Bedford, IN comes to mind; that is where the MILW's trackage over the L&N began for its access to Louisville. It was also the route, IIRC, of the Amtrak "Keycard" (Kentucky Cardinal).
 #1641284  by TrainTrackToby

Oakland is pretty busy but the city put up a billards on one side of the tracks but I guess it still counts.
The streetrunning in michigan city has been relialined off the road
The tracks in bedford indiana are abonded.
 #1642304  by spRocket

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:41 am Michigan City. IN has got to be "in the running" with the C,SS,&SB operating trains (mostly passenger) down a busy street.
Now relegated to history due to the double-tracking project. All down 11th St., they ripped out one entire side of the street to provide room for the second main.