Railroad Forums 

• High speed joyride

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1419665  by David Benton

"Shanghai's magnetic levitation train, which connects Pudong International Airport to the city's subway system, can hit speeds of 430kph."
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017012 ... e-no-other" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1419671  by philipmartin

430 kph equals 268 mph if I converted it correctly.
In my part of the world they want to extend the PATH from New York to Newark Airport. I'm going to post this on the PATH forum as a suggestion for the PATH. :-D
 #1419737  by george matthews

The US is notorious for failing to develop serious high speed rail. It's quite pleasant to cruise on the rather slow trains, but they are not serious railway development.
 #1419745  by philipmartin

Serious high speed rail is an expensive proposition which our taxpayers don't need. The HST idea in the UK has its detractors too, for the same reason. People fly. You can thank an Englishman, Frank Whittle, for that. And even John the fireman, among other rail fans, is no stranger to DC3s.
 #1419759  by SemperFidelis

Credit Whittle more than any piston engined aircraft (even my precious Super Connie) for airline travel being so prevalent. If aircraft were all still piston engined, costs per hour (and thusly, ticket prices) would be exponentially higher than they are. The jet and the turboprop go many thousands of hours longer between needing a rebuild and have many, many fewer moving parts than a piston engine.

Airliners.net signing off.
 #1420031  by johnthefireman

Yes, and in fact many of the DC3s still in service have been re-engined with turboprops. It's probably nearly twenty years since I travelled in one which still had piston engines.
 #1420036  by David Benton

My old neighbour used to copilot for this railways operation, SAFE AIR. It used to link the north and south island Rail systems , before the Rail ferries started.
He used to tell us stories of air freighting race horses. If the horse got spooked, it became very dangerous. He told us stories of horses kicking a hoof out the side of the aeroplane, and having to be shot. Wether this was true or not , I don't know, These were stories told to me by a mid sixty yo man when I was 10 or so in the 70's. I can certainly imagine a large horse been a danger in such an aircraft.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straits_A ... ht_Express" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1420082  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:Serious high speed rail is an expensive proposition which our taxpayers don't need. The HST idea in the UK has its detractors too, for the same reason. People fly. You can thank an Englishman, Frank Whittle, for that. And even John the fireman, among other rail fans, is no stranger to DC3s.
Flying emits carbon dioxide. If the US is to do anything to combat climate change you need fewer flights and more high speed electric trains.
 #1420129  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: If the US is to do anything to combat climate change you need fewer flights
Sorry George. The US is a free country.
 #1420257  by philipmartin

No George, we are not going to have fewer flights, and they are not going to affect the climate.
 #1420290  by johnthefireman

But there are serious plans for high speed rail in California and along the northeastern corridor (New York, DC, etc) aren't there? Those will surely have some impact on flights on those particular routes, won't they? When the channel tunnel opened it had a serious impact on London-Paris flights, and there is a lot of evidence that high speed rail is quicker than flying for journeys from city centre to city centre up to a certain distance, when you take into account time spent in traffic getting to and from the airport, and the time taken by security checks, check-in and baggage collection. Many business travellers also appreciate the ease with which they can use their computers and mobile phones during the entire train trip, the extra leg room, the freedom to walk up and down the train and to order halfway-decent coffee and food as and when they want it (as opposed to when the flight stewards with the trolleys decide to serve it). Trains actually offer US travellers the opportunity to behave more like free individuals and less like cattle - I've always felt that travelling by air is akin to transporting cattle, herded from one crowded holding pen to another through different gates at the whim of the authorities before being crammed into a cramped compartment for hours on end and fed at fixed intervals with a pre-programmed diet. I make up to 40 international flights per year, and I just wish there were viable rail alternatives for these.
 #1420302  by george matthews

I am not travelling much these days but I only fly over seas. Anywhere in Europe can be accessed by train. And the US has not built any High Speed rail routes but could benefit from some.
 #1420326  by philipmartin

My impression is that the majority of people in North America prefer the plane to the train or bus for trips over a few hundred miles . Just anecdotal information. Of course the continent is no longer covered by passenger trains the way it was when I was young, which is an indication of an insufficient customer base. The North East corridor between Boston, New York and Washington is the only long distance rail line that makes money.
 #1420519  by philipmartin

For full disclosure, I don't fly myself. My honda gets me wherever I want to go. Around New York it's trains.
Here are some statistics though: http://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-snow ... sit-2017-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know about the numbers listed here. I couldn't find them on flightaware.com.