Railroad Forums 

• Heroism on the Footplate: Chapel-en-le-Frith rail disaster

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1420176  by johnthefireman

From an eye witness (chap called Tony Ashworth - no relation):
Brings back memories, being born and bred in Chapel-en-le-Frith I remember the day like yesterday walking home after doing some shopping for mother there was this enormous bang and people came rushing out of their houses wondering what was going on!

Our next door neighbour was a railway plate layer and he took my father and I up to the site in the afternoon and was shocked, had never seen anything like it, the front of the DMU took a knock but he was running late, had he been on time the death toll could have been significant, What was poignant was walking along side the track towards Whaley Bridge was the 8F with the train 48188 had smashed into, waiting for special clearance to proceed to Whaley Bridge!

Couple of days later my father saw 48188 being moved at walking pace back to Buxton, before it went to Derby works for repair and following it was a 4F with the tender badly damaged