Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Trains in Thailand

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1397962  by David Benton

"Daxton Ward has an eye for the unusual.

The US photographer has been living in Asia for 13 years and uses his hobby to discover new places. But it's his ability to capture the beauty of the unconventional that has garnered attention.

A technology teacher in Thailand, it was on his daily commute from Bangkok to Samut Sakhon when Ward came across an abandoned train."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinati ... -abandoned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1397983  by george matthews

In First World countries there are businesses that have the ability to break up old vehicles and recycle the metal and other parts. In Thailand and many other poorer countries there are unlikely to be such businesses. Ship breaking by hand is sometimes featured in the media, but there is a constant supply of ships to break up. Not so with trains.
 #1398993  by David Benton

Thailand has an advanced and well regarded engineering industry. You don't see private cars rusting away , I presume they are all recycled.
I think this is a case of the govt owned assets been written off , but wrecking not been organised, or some cultural reason (alluded to in the article ) they have not been scrapped.
 #1399054  by johnthefireman

Remember Dai Woodham's scrapyard in Wales? Over 200 steam locomotives sat there for the best part of 20 years waiting to be scrapped. It was more profitable to scrap rail and wagons, so the steam locos kept getting left on the back burner until eventually they were rescued by enthusiasts. That's 200 steam locos which have been restored to operational condition and are now steaming merrily along simply because it wasn't worth scrapping them. Bet George wishes they had been scrapped!
 #1399074  by philipmartin

That sounds great. I wonder if I can put in an order for an 0-6-0, preferably one built in the 1920s?
George admitted that he likes steam on preservation roads.
 #1399453  by george matthews

I have had a few days in hospital and am out now. Next step must be to get my computer at home working - I am in the library.

Content redacted by an Administrator, off topic.
 #1399699  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote:I really think that burning coal is a very very serious problem and must be reduced to a very small level.
Of course I agree. But the handful of heritage steam locomotives which burn coal relatively infrequently fit my definition of "a very small level".

Get well soon, George.
 #1399885  by george matthews

They let me out of hospital on Thursday and I am enjoying the peace and quiet at home. I have just had my computer fixed and so have no need to go to the Library (closed until Thursday).
 #1400009  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote: It appears the comment on steam has been removed, even though it was in reply to 2 other posters.
Possibly because I complained. I certainly appreciate George's information about railroading though, for instance his two latest - no sleeping trains in Ireland and Glasgow Edinburgh train service.