Railroad Forums 

• GOVERNOR ANNOUNCES $1.2 MILLION FOR A&A TRACK REHAB

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#575367  by jgallaway81

Ask, and thou shalt receive!

These were taken in early June, just before the steam-powered excursion to Delightful's for the Ice Cream Social. The work here was done pre-contract, and most-likely done since this section hasn't seen passengers since the late 90's, and hasn't seen steam since the late-80's/early 90's.

#575647  by Benjamin Maggi

Ice Cream Train? Does it take passengers to the Jenny Lee, or someplace in Java/North Java? I would think that the Jenny Lee would be closer, but it is hard to imagine people buying tickets for a 10 minute train ride.
 #575666  by jgallaway81

Ben... it wasn't even that far... the tender is sitting on the circuit at the West Main Street crossing.

The truck in the fourth picture is going up Bixby Hill in Arcade.
 #581698  by Conrail4evr

I was there on Thursday for the first time in a month or two, and the difference was quite evident. Lots of new ballast, some new switches, and various contractor MOW machinery kicking around - and this is just in Arcade. It looks like they still have plenty of work at hand, but then again, that's the nature of any railroad - never-ending work. If they keep up the work they've been doing, they'll be able to shake the stereotype of Penn Central-like trackage in no time at all.
 #582500  by swbudnack

I was making a U turn down by the Fire Hall last weekend where the Arcade and Attica Railroad tracks are. Looking down the track(north) I was amazed on how straight they got the rails. It used to look really bad, It looks like a good job!
 #591888  by nessman

I took a ride on the A&A last week. Needless to say, the train didnt' feel like it was going to roll over into a ditch anymore - a remarkably smooth ride.

Here are pictures of work along the ROW. Fresh ballast the entire way, seems like almost every tie has been replaced.

#592048  by jgallaway81

Only thing missing now is the 132lb CW ribbon rail... and the interlocking tower in Arcade, and the Signals along the line to Curriers, lol.

Seriously though, it does look a lot better.

The key now is to continue the process even after this work is done. Track can't be upgraded & left for 20 years. Its what got it into this condition in the first place.
 #592645  by joesbag

Holy cow - I can't believe the pix are of the A&A (although the condition of the rail gives it away and still warms my heart)! Great photos Nessman. Only wish I could have seen the work progressing myself. Man, what a great job the likes of which haven't been seen on the RR for 25 years or more. Anyone know how many hoppers of ballast did they use? Did the A&A crews drop the stone? Now that there is some new footing under the ties and rails I agree that the railroad does need to keep it up. That requires cash which I hope the excursions and perhaps new customers will generate.