Railroad Forums 

• Portland, Oregon: TriMet Westside Express Service

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#610824  by lbshelby

AgentSkelly wrote:I remember when Washington County LUT had a rather interesting idea to run the train actually to terminate in Forest Grove so that it could "extend" MAX to Forest Grove.

The idea of the train terminating in Hillsboro actually was thought of when Downtown Hillsboro was ripped up for MAX work at Hatfield center; you will notice that the P&W tracks were re-done on Adams St which goes right next to the western terminus for MAX.
Well, the rebuild of that track probably had more to do with the general mayhem in the area of the station during construction. However, that that idea was suggested by LU&T folks in that time frame doesn't surprise me at all. There's been a lot of ambitious scheming surrounding the WES project from day one. It would make an interesting study to see how the project scope ballooned, shrank, ballooned, and shrank again.
 #613172  by westr

The Portland Oregonian has an extensive story on Tri-met's dealings with Colorado Railcar for the DMUs for the Westside Express. It shows how precarious Colorado Railcar is and how much Tri-Met has put into it to keep the company going to get its DMUs. See http://www.oregonlive.com/special/index ... rimet.html Portland's anti-rail folks are going to have fun with this.
 #631324  by railohio

Throughout this past week the first departure north from Wilsonville in the evening and the subsequent first departure south from Beaverton has had the two-unit set. I'd be interested in tracking regular operations with others and noting which equipment is on which run to aid in future photographic pursuits. Anyone else game?
 #631370  by AgentSkelly

Well, as of today, the trains now use the "TriMet" callsign on the radio instead of the odd CRMX callsign.
 #633139  by pdxstreetcar

railohio, the 5:33 pm departure out of beaverton transit center this afternoon was a two-car operation, i'd assume that train would stay pretty consistant

anyone know which station was/is giving out the travel mugs?

saw this on flickr...
WES Travel Mug
 #633157  by railohio

Tigard was giving mugs in the morning. I was on the 7:37a north out of there which also had the two-unit set as did the final southbound out of Beaverton in the morning.
 #633614  by AgentSkelly

railohio wrote:I'm sitting on WES on a Wilsonville layover waiting to head back north. Wireless Internet access is a major perk!
It does indeed.

I'll be taking a trip on it this Friday to see if its feasible to use the evening service to make a quick trip to Frys Electronics.
 #633697  by UH60L

Boy, I'm really jealous of you guys. I've been following this project for a couple of years now, and wouldn't you know it, I shipped out to Ft Sill on my way to Iraq last week. Totally missed out on seeing the WES actually start running. I love trains (and helicopters, thus my current situation!!!) and am one of those people living in Salem that hopes this line gets extended eventually.

Luckily I have my laptop and internet access. I'll be watching this thread when I can and watching for news about the system on the net. Having a computer sure does make being in a different state or different country easier to deal with.

So, for those that have ridden WES, how was it? Are they running on schedule? Sounds like the wifi is working, that's sweet! How has the ridership been, lots of people?

Later,
UH60L
 #635027  by wigwagfan

UH60L wrote:So, for those that have ridden WES, how was it? Are they running on schedule? Sounds like the wifi is working, that's sweet! How has the ridership been, lots of people?
Rode it last Friday. It was fine, nothing to call home about.

Initial ridership reports show ridership is brisk but not "jammed packed", virtually all trains have had plenty of seats available.

It doesn't really go where I need to go, but I am considering taking a trip in a couple weeks from my downtown office out to Beaverton and doing a trip out to Wilsonville and back to Tigard just to gauge ridership before catching a bus back home, essentially a very large circle trip.
 #635033  by AgentSkelly

I just took a trip this afternoon, here's some photos:
Attachments:
IMG_0663 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0663 (Medium).JPG (70.11 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
IMG_0661 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0661 (Medium).JPG (41.43 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
IMG_0638 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0638 (Medium).JPG (55.43 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
 #635034  by AgentSkelly

More!
Attachments:
IMG_0670 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0670 (Medium).JPG (58.37 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
IMG_0669 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0669 (Medium).JPG (52.5 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
IMG_0665 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0665 (Medium).JPG (60.55 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
 #635098  by Patrick Boylan

Hard to figure from your photos where the operator sits. It looks like one of your shots shows controls in a partial cab on the car's right side, but another shot shows somebody in uniform sitting in at the center window at a console that wraps around all 3 windows of a full width cab.
So do my eyes deceive me, or do they have 2 different kinds of cab, or did you take cab shots of 2 different kinds of trains?
 #635157  by AgentSkelly

gardendance wrote:Hard to figure from your photos where the operator sits. It looks like one of your shots shows controls in a partial cab on the car's right side, but another shot shows somebody in uniform sitting in at the center window at a console that wraps around all 3 windows of a full width cab.
So do my eyes deceive me, or do they have 2 different kinds of cab, or did you take cab shots of 2 different kinds of trains?

On the return trip back to Beaverton, I was in a one-car train, meaning one end has a control stand and the other has a full operator console.
 #635166  by wigwagfan

Here's a video I made while riding the WES line a week ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF_y4oHf ... annel_page

At about 1:10, you'll see a video of the 1001 coming into the station (A end first), followed by a picture of the 1002 at the same station (B end first) - a comparison between the two ends of the cars.

There is a picture of the A-end cab, but I never saw the B-end from the inside.