Railroad Forums 

• Portland, OR - Eugene/Springfield Study

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1150180  by amtrakowitz

David Benton wrote:OK; so UP allowed the state to pay for its tracks to be upgraded to 110 mph. No-one is expecting UP to pay for the cost of upgrading the track. Read the whole thread to get the context.
More like an agreement than merely "allowing". Allowing someone in your house is certainly different from agreeing to let them stay almost permanently. After all, UP's own locomotives have to be subject to upgrades to run on the company's own track per federal dictates, now; it's more than track alone, but signaling systems both along the alignment and in the locomotive cabs.

If it does cost only $7 million per mile for the 110-mph upgrade, then it seems that it ought to be more widespread.
 #1150308  by David Benton

"allowed" was the wording in the article linked , not mine . i just copied it .
It seems to me that UP benefits from the illinois 110 mph project at least . Presuming the total cost is borne by the state , which i'm sure UP made certain of .