Railroad Forums 

• Latex on Coal

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#545905  by Amtrak7

Some of you from RP may know this post. Seeing that I got no replies, I might as well post this.

Looking at this video-
http://rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=2678

It says that the latex keeps the dust down, but how do they get it off the coal at the unloading site?

Anyone have more information about this type of operation?
 #545916  by Ken V

My guess is that they don't remove it, but I don't know. I think we'll try this question over at the Railroad Operations board.
 #545955  by GOLDEN-ARM

They don't remove it, it's natural, and burns off cleaner than the coal. They also spray waste loads, when shipping building/construction debris, for the same reason. Easier than netting, or tarps, which require more labor, and are subject to wear, tears and theft.
 #546855  by deezlfan

Isn't this a historic procedure? Blue Coal, Sterling [silver], Gold Nugget and Reading Red Dot being some of the more common brands.
The coal loads were sprayed with dust reduction as the primary reason. Someone realized that colored loads became a distinctive,
marketable advertizement as it rolled to it's destination. And as an added benefit, railroad detectives could see if someone had been
skimming the tops off the coal loads......