Railroad Forums 

• On the Lackawanna near Scranton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1012233  by N.E.Pennsy

Any ideas on where this picture was taken around 1901?

http://www.shorpy.com/node/12255

They say, “On the Lackawanna near Scranton” which I’m not sure if they mean Lackawanna River or Railroad (or both).

If you view the pic in full size you’ll see a 4 track mainline across the drink along with I'm guessing a roadway (or another higher track)
 #1012336  by toolmaker

I think that is down the line in Taylor heading towards the current DL engine house in Scranton.
 #1012401  by tellu_whut

The location is Dunmore, just as the DL&W main is heading through Cobbs Gap. Remember, this photo was taken before the 1905 tunnel was built, and the third track added. The "canal" mentioned in Shorpy is the Roaring Brook. Before 1955 and the Diane flood, the water route was a bit higher than it currently flows. The DL&W may have elevated their main a bit to get further from the water. Across the way is the Erie yard, where all the tracks begin to split by heading into downtown, to the Erie engine shops and the Wyoming line going to Moosic and Wilkes-Barre.
Steamtown and the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley NRHS chapter staged a photo runby in this location in 1993 with the first steam trip to Cresco. Interstate 81 now crosses the tracks roughly in this area.