Railroad Forums 

• RDC move by NS From Croxton, NJ - Allentown, PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#957556  by fftombo

To anyone who is interested, NS will be moving a Budd RDC hopefully today (Aug 3) if not tomorrow (Aug 4). The RDC was spotted early monday morning on the east end of the NYS&W awaiting movement by an NS local to Croxton Yard and then on to 33K or possibly H76 for movement to Allentown. Unfortunately I do not have a solid date that it will be moved. If anyone has any information please feel free to share.
 #957890  by rwk

Why is it going to Allentown? What need would there be for a passenger car in a city that hasn't seen a passenger train since Sept 1979 (except for excursions in the 1980's like a diesel excursion from Newark to Allentown in 1982, Jim Thorpe's 972 in 1983, BM&R's 2102 in 1985, 1987, and 1988 and NKP 765 passing through in July, 1988) and a railroad which dominates all the mainlines in Allentown that isn't too passenger train friendly (NS)?
 #957897  by fftombo

rwk wrote:Why is it going to Allentown? What need would there be for a passenger car in a city that hasn't seen a passenger train since Sept 1979 (except for excursions in the 1980's like a diesel excursion from Newark to Allentown in 1982, Jim Thorpe's 972 in 1983, BM&R's 2102 in 1985, 1987, and 1988 and NKP 765 passing through in July, 1988) and a railroad which dominates all the mainlines in Allentown that isn't too passenger train friendly (NS)?

From what I understand, it is going to Allentown first, then will be put on a local to go Hudson Yard in Phillipsburg where it will be picked up by the owners, the New York Susquehanna and Western Technical and Historical Society.
 #958176  by rwk

That doesn't make any sense. Why does it have to go to Allentown first? Why can't they just drop it off in Phillipsburg? For a minute there, I thought RJ Corman was starting a new tourist train on the old LV RR tracks in Allentown, lol. Now it makes sense, since the Bel Del is the only tourist train operation closest to Lehigh Valley area.
 #958262  by fftombo

rwk wrote:That doesn't make any sense. Why does it have to go to Allentown first? Why can't they just drop it off in Phillipsburg? For a minute there, I thought RJ Corman was starting a new tourist train on the old LV RR tracks in Allentown, lol. Now it makes sense, since the Bel Del is the only tourist train operation closest to Lehigh Valley area.
My guess would be that this way NS doesn't have to do too much extra work or go out of their way. If the ship it from one yard to another and then put on a local, it is pretty much the same thing as with anything else that NS would ship.
 #958263  by fftombo

I hope I am not repeating myself as I may have posted this twice on another thread instead of once on each. The RDC was moved by NS this evening (Aug. 4th) from Croxton to Allentown. I do not have any pictures due to the train coming through when it was way to dark for pictures. If anyone is looking for pictures, you can fint them on the New Jersey Railfan page with the same thread title. As for the M-1 now, I am now thinking that they will move it from Allentown to Phillipsburg either tomorrow (most likely), if not then saturday. Not 100% sure what the local's call sign is, but it would more than likely be the local that goes up the old L&HR tracks up through Martin's Creek, PA. Thought I would post if anyone was interested.
 #958286  by cr9615

rwk wrote:That doesn't make any sense. Why does it have to go to Allentown first? Why can't they just drop it off in Phillipsburg? For a minute there, I thought RJ Corman was starting a new tourist train on the old LV RR tracks in Allentown, lol. Now it makes sense, since the Bel Del is the only tourist train operation closest to Lehigh Valley area.
Because it wouldn't be feasible for 33K to set it off there. Makes more sense for them to put it on one of the locals since they actually work Hudson Yard.
 #958354  by waldwickrailfan

fftombo wrote:I hope I am not repeating myself as I may have posted this twice on another thread instead of once on each. The RDC was moved by NS this evening (Aug. 4th) from Croxton to Allentown. I do not have any pictures due to the train coming through when it was way to dark for pictures. If anyone is looking for pictures, you can fint them on the New Jersey Railfan page with the same thread title. As for the M-1 now, I am now thinking that they will move it from Allentown to Phillipsburg either tomorrow (most likely), if not then saturday. Not 100% sure what the local's call sign is, but it would more than likely be the local that goes up the old L&HR tracks up through Martin's Creek, PA. Thought I would post if anyone was interested.
i think it's H76
 #958377  by Bethlehem Jct.

For the same reason UPS doesn't deliver your Amazon order straight to your house after receiving it from the shipper. It goes to their distribution center in your area before being loaded on a truck for delivery. As others have pointed out, anything being delivered to local customers in P'burg would be done so on the H76 (or H78 or whatever the symbol is), be it a tanker car of corn syrup, a gondola of scrap steel or a Budd Rail Diesel Car. Think of it as a hub and spoke system.
 #961290  by fftombo

Sorry that I have been slow in giving updates. NS was pretty unpredictable with the M-1. NS H76 brought the M-1 to Hudson Yard in Phillipsburg last Tuesday, and it was picked up by the NYS&W T&HS the same day.