Railroad Forums 

• Cars off 61 in Hamburg PA...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#956819  by kjd73170

Hello all,
While traveling in PA this weekend, I got off 78 to eat on route 61 in Hamburg and to my surprise right parallel to the road were many passenger and old freight cars. My question is are they part of a private or public (as in someday they'll be restored) collection and how long have these cars been dormant? I'm sure others have asked about these cars here but I have been unable to locate threads containing this info.
Thanks!
 #956822  by jrevans

kjd73170 wrote:Hello all,
While traveling in PA this weekend, I got off 78 to eat on route 61 in Hamburg and to my surprise right parallel to the road were many passenger and old freight cars. My question is are they part of a private or public (as in someday they'll be restored) collection and how long have these cars been dormant? I'm sure others have asked about these cars here but I have been unable to locate threads containing this info.
Thanks!
The Reading Railroad Technical & Historical Society is there and they have a large collection of railroad equipment, representing the former Reading Railroad. Here is their website:
http://www.readingrailroad.org

I haven't been up there this year, but the Reading and Northern Railroad was previously storing railroad cars on their line to Hamburg, and they used to have some derelict passenger cars outside of their shop in Hamburg too. So, you might have seen some of that too.
 #956851  by kjd73170

Thanks!
If I didn't get hungry at that point I'd have never seen these cars, I'll have to stop in for a look when I head out there next.