Railroad Forums 

• Progress Report on DL&W 565

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#946276  by Schuylkill Valley

Hello all,
We had our first weekend workday on May 15! We had 5 folks there. We completely finished installation of the smokebox cover. All the bolts are installed and we attached the condo brackets. The marker light brackets need to have the holes reemed out to fit. The grab rail is done also.

We installed the exhaust nozzle to the cylinder. We installed Heli-coils due to the heavy corrosion. The exhaust nozzle bolt holes are damaged so we are going to document it in the records and call it good for now.

--The exhaust muffler is sitting in the smokebox and just needs to be bolted on.
--The smokebox "Pettycoat" lift pipe needs a strap made for it to connect it to the smoke stack.
--The steam pipes are completely connected to the cylinders. Yeah nice big bolts! 7/8" in diameter bolts

Then Saturday June 11 was our second weekend workday for 2011, We had only three members to show. Jim , Matt and I . We had our small meeting before we headed off to work on 565. First we started was to replace the Marker lamp holders back on the smoke box. I took both holders over to Shop Boss Willy and showed him what we needed to be done. He said " Go over to Shop Worker John and have ream out the holes to the right size".

After John completed that. Jim and Matt worked on putting the holders in place. Matt worked on sand blasting more parts while Jim and I worked on stripping the cab of 103 strips of tongue and groove fir. We came across a lot of coal soot up in there. At 12 noon we took lunch and return to work on the cab afterward.

We removed all the top wooden strips up to the vent in the roof. and 7 strips on the Engineer side of the roof. We marked the wood with E -1 or F-1 indicating Engineer or Firemen sides. The rest will have to come out at our the next workday. we had to clean up and be out by 4:30 PM. So we started to clean up at 3:30 PM.

Here are photos of our work

First board comes off of the firemen side of the roof.

We found Red paint under the firemen recording report holder

After wood was removed from the Firemen side of the roof
 #946468  by trackwelder

you guys are doing some great work.
 #948717  by Schuylkill Valley

Thank you jtaeffner,
We have a lot to do let but we are closer now then we were in 2008 when the project first started.
Our next workday is Saturday July 23, 2011 and Our Lead Steve Boonstra might go up with his Air Force crew before that during the week.
We are hopping we'll be getting the Lead wheel under her again by the first of the fall season. we have a set of new driver # One Spings out at a shop getting finished and we have about 5 more things to compleat and well be able to get that back on. It will be the first time in 40 years that the lead and #One driver journels will be on the locomotive. They were taken off back in the 1970's over at New Hope and Ivyland. Long Story.

This is only a cosmedtic Retore of DL&W 565, this photo of in side the boiler I think will tell you the reason why.

She was used very hard!
Here is a photo of our # One Driver Journels along with the Great Shackers before they were sand basted. this was done in 2009.

Afterwords

Theres a lot more photo's and information about this project on our website. Http://projectdlw565.webs.com

Len Shaner
C0 Volunteer Lead.
 #949032  by trackwelder

no chance at all of her ever running again?
 #960932  by Schuylkill Valley

We had a weekday workday on Thursday Aug. 4.
This is what was completed.
Front Springs---Cut the slots for the attachment brackets on the ends. completed!
Smokebox---Make strap bracket for petticoat pipe and attach it.
Thread chase the smokebox door studs and attach door clamps with new nuts, Completed!

Len.
 #964856  by Schuylkill Valley

Project 565 Workday Report For Saturday August 20, 2011

Hello all,
Last Saturday we had a workday for 565 . Although Matt and I were the only ones to show, we got a good bit done. Jim couldn't make for personal reasons.

For Two hours of the day, I was filming the Leackawanna F3's for the Tri - State Chapter the F's ran a trip to Carbondale. I only chased them as far as the crossing at Lackawanna Ave. Then went back over to the roundhouse to see where Matt was. Matt was help Big Mike remove rust from the big doors on the roundhouse. Matt worked with Big Mike for about an hour. I went over to 565 and work on painting the in side of the smoke box with rust converter. We already had wire brushed and needle scaled it last year, but had ran out of time to coat it. I worked in the box for about an hour when Matt came over an took over. we took turns in there for most of the day. At the end we were replacing the Cylinder covers and Valve covers on . We are going to have them on for the rail fest display this year.
Here I am tighting down two nut's for our step .

In side the smoke box with fresh painted walls and steam pipes of Rust Converter .

That's all for now.
Len.
 #965770  by Schuylkill Valley

Today Sunday August 28,2011 We had a short workday for 565 , The only crew member who showed was Jim. Hurricane Irene Couldn't prevent Jim from going up to Steamtown, But as 12:00PM rolled by, the Park closed because of the weather. Jim worked on painting rust converter on the front flue sheet in the Smoke box. When we get photo's, we'll post them.
Thank you.
Len
Co Volunteer Lead
 #968056  by Schuylkill Valley

Lackawanna Rail Fest 2011, Project 565 for the second year straight, has had the head light lit. This time the head light was sitting on wooden blocks with the smoke box cover now back on. We now have our project sign on location. Each year our Rail Fest display gets better and better. We are looking forward to seeing 565 out side on display for all to see for that year center piece for Rail Fest.

Here are some photo's from the event.

These photos were taken by crew member Jim K.

The first display you saw as you entered the working part of the round house was our Lead wheel on the wheel jack.

Len Shaner tightening nuts on our valve covers.

Close up view on our projest sign

#984751  by Schuylkill Valley

Delaware Lackawanna & Western Railroad Project 565

This is the fan page for Project 565 , where every one is welcome!
This is not a closed page, like the new page is. We do not screen our Members , But they do!
This is their link.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/109493199162415/

Our Fan page has been up since August 8, 2009
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Delaware- ... 3629534133

Take care all and God Bless.
Leonard Shaner.
Former Co - Lead of Project 565