Railroad Forums 

• Wilmington and Northern

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#921269  by calroth

To Len,

I would like to know more about your video products and especially the book about the Delaware River and Lancaster RR.
I live in Colorado but will be visiting your area from May 19 to June 7. Please let me know if we can get together.
Thanks,
Cal Roth
 #921394  by Trails to Rails

riverrat wrote:Hello and thanks for replying to my question. I am mistaken as to the name of the park I am inquiring about. I see from my old map that the stop was called "Birmingham Park" "Brandywine aka Lenape Park" was north about a mile.
I have an excellent description of the Wilmington and Northern stop just before Pocopson Station...but I just can't locate the exact point. Mark
Mark:

This 1923 Penndot map of the area shows a station at Brintons Bridge which is below Pocopson Station. Doing a little map comparison with current maps, my guess would put that station obviously track-side on the west side of the river approximately 280 yards north, (N39.88379 W75.60980) of the junction of Chadwick Lane & Brintons Bridge Road or thereabouts. I am assuming Brinton's Bridge was in fact a bridge that crossed the Brandywine at this point. It looks like the station was on the west side of the bridge.

I don't know how reliable this map is, if this is the station location you are inquiring about or if "Birmingham Park" is anywhere near this point on the map.

If it isn't, oh well; if it is, good luck in your search and let us know what you find!
 #921401  by chefwrg

The bridge abutments were still there when I was kid in the 60's and 70's. I'm assuming they're still there. Can't remember if there was a foundation for the station or not, but it's quite possible.
 #963997  by calroth

In approxiamately 1948 my Grandmother and Aunt traveled aboard the Wilmington an Northern RR from Coatesville to Kenneys but I don't recall seeing passenger cars after that time period.
 #1014198  by indie1361

Hi there,

I have heard that the EPRY runs the W&N Monday-Wednesday-Friday, and they are on duty at 7 AM, but does anyone know where they start out from?

Thanks,

Matt Skros
indie1361
Northeast Railfan Productions
 #1014650  by rob216

There really is no set time for the train crews to start. They can start as early as 6 a.m. and as late as 9 a.m. As for the start location, that can be many locations. They may start out of Kennett, Chadds Ford, Pocopson, or even Embryville.
 #1033434  by indie1361

I might be going out to railfan the Octoraro/Wilmington and Northern this Wednesday or Friday at around 12:00- 1:00 PM. Where and when should I start out if I want to catch the train?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I want to make sure I spend the day railfanning instead of searching for the train. After waiting for a R&N freight that wasn't due for another three hours up in Reading, I've learned my lesson.