Railroad Forums 

• state road ..tacony

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#484729  by biloby

hiya..
theres an old line that connects to the amtrak lines that run with the r7 ..
it crosses state road right by the cottman ave exit from 95south.

the line runs cross state road and splits a trucking depot and a car mechanics shop.

recently they were working on the rail lines,. im guessing re grading or putting new ties down.. ???

does anyone know whats going on there? ,, i havent seen these lines used in decades.. although i know theres a tiny layup right behind the trucking depot that has tankers and the occasional gondola..

any help is appreciated.
thanks
billy

#484744  by Sir Ray

I don't know if it's where your talking about, but if it's the line that more or less runs down the middle of Bleigh Ave south of 95 (if that street is Bleigh Ave, and not an access road), isn't there an active scrap yard/transfer station south of Milnor St?

Live Local View, showing some gondolas loaded with scrap in the yard (hmm, you know, I don't remember seeing gondolas there before, even when I was actually on that street about 3 years ago)

#484752  by biloby

your close... bleigh st.. west dead ends into the tracks but thats were they were doing the work...

in that map picture you showed.. if you follow the track NW ..you would go under 95..continue NW and youl see where the line ties in with the rest of the tracks.. in the map picture it shows freights laid up. .thats the area im talking about.. the intersection of bleigh and state road.

those map images are years old... that boat storage place hasnt been there in years.. its been a public storage place for a bit now..
and like i said i havent seen a freight cros through bleigh in a while.. i work days so i could be wrong.

but thats the basic area.. anyone know whats going on? cause i dont.

thanks sirRay..
i have to go back down there.. didnt think that scrap yard was active.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1

#484757  by biloby

i just checked that map again...this time the boat place isnt there and the begginings of the public storage place is there...weird.

#484802  by Sir Ray

I understood where your were talking about in your original OP, where the branch comes off of the NEC and crosses State, but I just wanted to illustrate why (Conrail SAA I suppose) would be doing some track work, as that scrap yard seems to be active (alas, the only spur active of like 8 coming off that Bleigh Ave. branch).
Since Live Local aerial images are stitched together from different sources/periods, you can see various artifacts & discontinuities as you pan (and rotate - this sometimes helps to get a image with better illumination taken at a different time of day) - I believe google earth has the same problem, as the register.co did a whole series on such funky artifacts (like one image had a city neighborhood half snow-covered in winter and half green in spring).
I read somewhere that the images are supposed to be no more than 2 years old, but who knows...
 #1444792  by siddweb

I know this is an old topic, but wanted to say the line is still active... albeit it, scarcely used it seems. I managed to grab this short video the other day when the scrap metal yard getting some empty gondolas. https://youtu.be/hf8ZtwcOEPE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1446542  by JimBoylan

In the Summer of 2017, this branch was relaid and all of the other sidings disconnected and almost completely removed from the street paving. The portion of track featured in this video from Milnor St. East to the scrap yard is in a new location about 13 feet South of the old track that was in the middle of Bleigh Ave. In the late 1940s, before Bleigh Ave. was built, this was double track, probably for wartime traffic to the Northern Metals facility.