Railroad Forums 

• The End of the NS Devalt line.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#468097  by Schuylkill Valley

I saw this on a Norfolk Southern website.

Norfolk Southern Railway Company--Discontinuance of Service Exemption--in Chester County, PA
Wednesday, November 07, 2007; Posted: 11:48 AM

More Breaking News about NSRT
Norfolk Southern Railway Company--Discontinuance of Service Exemption--in Chester County, PA

Norfolk Southern Railway Company--Abandonment Exemption--in Grant County, IN

Norfolk Southern Railway Company--Abandonment Exemption--in Grant County, IN

Click here for More News >>

More Resources for NSRT
PowerRatings (for Traders)

PowerRatings (for Investors)

Quotes & Charts

Nov 07, 2007 (Transportation Department Documents and Publications/ContentWorks via COMTEX) -- NSRT | charts | news | PowerRating -- Norfolk Southern Railway Company (NSR) has filed a verified notice of exemption under 49 CFR part 1152 subpart F--Exempt Abandonments and Discontinuances of Service to discontinue service over a 7.70 mile line of railroad between milepost PX 3.10 and milepost PX 10.80 in Phoenixville, Chester County, PA. The line traverses United States Postal Service Zip Codes 19453 and 19460, and includes the stations of Phoenixville, Pickering, and Devault.

NSR has certified that: (1) No local traffic has moved over the line for at least 2 years; (2) that all overhead traffic, if any, has been rerouted over other lines; (3) no formal complaint filed by a user of rail service on the line (or by a state or local government entity acting on behalf of such user) regarding cessation of service over the line either is pending with the Board or with any U.S. District Court or has been decided in favor of complainant within the 2-year period; and (4) the requirements at 49 CFR 1105.12 (newspaper publication), and 49 CFR 1152.50(d)(1) (notice to governmental agencies) have been met.

As a condition to these exemptions, any employee adversely affected by the discontinuance of service shall be protected under Oregon Short Line R. Co.--Abandonment--Goshen, 360 I.C.C. 91 (1979). To address whether this condition adequately protects affected employees, a petition for partial revocation under 49 U.S.C. 10502(d) must be filed.

Provided no formal expression of intent to file an offer of financial assistance (OFA) has been received, this exemption will be effective on December 7, 2007, unless stayed pending reconsideration. Petitions to stay that do not involve environmental issues and formal expressions of intent to file an OFA for continued rail service under 49 CFR 1152.27(c)(2), /1/ must be filed by November 19, 2007. /2/ Petitions to reopen must be filed by November 27, 2007, with: Surface Transportation Board, 395 E Street, SW., Washington, DC 20423-0001.

FOOTNOTE 1 Each OFA must be accompanied by the filing fee, which currently is set at $1,300. See 49 CFR 1002.2(f)(25). END FOOTNOTE

FOOTNOTE 2 Because this is a discontinuance proceeding and not an abandonment, trail use/rail banking and public use conditions are not appropriate. Likewise, no environmental or historical documentation is required here under 49 CFR 1105.6(c) and 1105.8(b), respectively. END FOOTNOTE

A copy of any petition filed with the Board should be sent to NSR's representative: James R. Paschall, Senior General Attorney, Norfolk Southern Railway Company, Three Commercial Place, Norfolk, VA 23510.

If the verified notice contains false or misleading information, the exemption is void ab initio.

Board decisions and notices are available on our Web site at: http://www.stb.dot.gov.

Decided: October 30, 2007.

By the Board, David M. Konschnik, Director, Office of Proceedings.

Vernon A. Williams,

Secretary.

[FR Doc. E7-21832 Filed 11-6-07; 8:45 am]

BILLING CODE 4915-01-P

Citation: "72 FR 62907"

Document Number: "STB Docket No. AB-290 (Sub-No. 297X)"

Federal Register Page Number: "62907"

"Notices"

#468228  by EDM5970

I wonder if the firm of Riffin, Griffin, Cohen and Moran will go after any of these? They seem to be attracted by abandonment exemption notices.
 #469364  by glennk419

Schuylkill Valley wrote:

FOOTNOTE 2 Because this is a discontinuance proceeding and not an abandonment, trail use/rail banking and public use conditions are not appropriate. Likewise, no environmental or historical documentation is required here under 49 CFR 1105.6(c) and 1105.8(b), respectively. END FOOTNOTE
Sounds like it may not actually be the end...
 #525335  by cdruhl

Unfortunately, I see nothing in the discontinuance that prohibits NS from removing the track and later filing to abandon the roadbed as the Reading did with the Perkiomen Branch. Interestingly, I found the additional, actual abandonment of what appears to have been a stub from Devault:

PENNSYLVANIA - NORFOLK SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY - To abandon a 0.75-mile line of railroad extending between milepost DX 10.65 and milepost DX 11.40 in East Whiteland Township, Chester County, PA. The line traverses United States Postal Service Zip Code 19355, and includes the former station of Cedar Hollow. Effective on April 17, 2008. (STB Docket No. AB-290 (Sub-No. 302X, decided March 4, served March 18, 2008)

Another thread discussion talks of crossings already paved over and talk of bridge removals in Phoenixville area. I would hope that somebody grabs the ROW for passenger service as contemplated before it is gone.

While I'm thinking of it, I can find no docket or other documentation for the demise of the NS industrial track that served the King of Prussia Industrial Park back off Route 23 and along the PA Turnpike and came out off the far west end of Abrams Yard. Most of the crossings have been cut -- Route 23 and the one across First Avenue.
 #617408  by kemacprr

The section mentioned as being abandoned by NS is the remaining stub of the ex RDG Chester Valley branch that existed in the old Worthington/Nation Rolling Mills site. When the branch was abandoned back in the 90's CR put in a connection to the ex PRR Trenton cutoff to serve Worthington. It used about 1 mile of old Chester Valley row thru the middle of the plant. Since Worthington has closed and the plant has been torn down for developement the rail is being pulled up. The DeVault line is still intact as of Dec 26, 2008. Very overgrown and some rails have been unbolted by the Pothouse Rd. grade crossing. No potential of customers at the DeVault end so far. ----------- Ken McCorry
 #617453  by Schuylkill Valley

The railroad bridge in Phoenixville was not removed completely. It was just jacked up two feet in order to allow trucks to go under it while the new 113(Gay St.) bridge is being built.

Merry Christmas.
Len.

Re:

#617579  by Red Arrow Fan

EDM5970 wrote:I wonder if the firm of Riffin, Griffin, Cohen and Moran ...
Sounds similar to the firm of Dewey, Cheatum & Howe!
 #617581  by Red Arrow Fan

kemacprr wrote:The section mentioned as being abandoned by NS is the remaining stub of the ex RDG Chester Valley branch that existed in the old Worthington/Nation Rolling Mills site. When the branch was abandoned back in the 90's CR put in a connection to the ex PRR Trenton cutoff to serve Worthington. It used about 1 mile of old Chester Valley row thru the middle of the plant. Since Worthington has closed and the plant has been torn down for developement the rail is being pulled up.
Several spurs in the DeVault area had been removed years ago (probably when the Chester Valley RR was pulled up). There was one that crossed Rt 29 between the limestone quarry & the towing service, and another that looped around the east side of the Great Valley Corporate Center, crossing over Swedesford Road, and connecting to the Chester Valley RR east of Cedar Hollow Rd. Also, I remember there was a siding alongside the Chester Valley where it crossed Cedar Hollow Road.
kemacprr wrote:The DeVault line is still intact as of Dec 26, 2008. Very overgrown and some rails have been unbolted by the Pothouse Rd. grade crossing. No potential of customers at the DeVault end so far. ----------- Ken McCorry
I wonder how far it extends? Maps show it traversing almost as far west as Mill Road, but appears to enter a field of weeds just west of the PA Turnpike overpass at Rt 29 & Phoenixville Pike.
 #617661  by Schuylkill Valley

The Devalt line was known as the Phoenixville & West Chester railroad when chartered in 1882, The line went from the PRR's junction with the Schuylkill Valley branch behind the Phoenix Steel Co. and went over the steel bridge. There was also a wye track there too. The line had a spur into the cement company on Rt.23 at Turnerville. The line ran all the way to Frazer where it connected with the main line.

Hope that helps,
Len.
 #622070  by RCman2626

I wonder how far it extends? Maps show it traversing almost as far west as Mill Road, but appears to enter a field of weeds just west of the PA Turnpike overpass at Rt 29 & Phoenixville Pike.
I've walked this stretch recently. The welded rail transitions back to the original jointed rail. I've found sticks of rail with 1901 stamped on them. The rails extend to the office complex about a quarter mile down Phoenixville pike toward Great Valley High, at which point they are cut off and just run into the dirt. A passing siding still exists. The branch extending to the quarry and grain plants extends all the way to sidley road. Its a shame, this line would be so great for a scenic opperation. I think that every time I drive past it.
 #828092  by railfanmikeinchesco

Rail tracks were removed last weekend at the crossing and paved over at Pa. Route 29 and Phoenixville Pike by the turnpike overpass. I guess there is no future for the Devault spur or future Light Rail that was mentioned in previous years?
 #828378  by PARailWiz

Reinstalling the grade-crossing isn't that big a deal, particularly measured against the cost of rebuilding the line for passenger service. If a major freight customer were to appear along the line that would also justify reinstalling the grade-crossing. Removing it just simplifies roadway maintenance for PennDOT.