Railroad Forums 

• Tyburn Railroad 44-tonner

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#427107  by pgengler

I happened to be trawling through some Yahoo search results looking for anything about the Hoboken Shore I hadn't seen before when I came upon a 2005-dated roster listing (here) for the Tyburn Railroad which lists an ex-Hoboken Shore 44-tonner (ex-HBS #700, now #400 by way of the New Hope & Ivyland). I've never heard of the Tyburn before, but my quick searches turned up that it's a shortline in/near the Morrisville area, though I didn't find much more recent than the date on the roster.

So, I have two questions. First, is the railroad still around, and second, do they still have the 44-tonner? If so, is there any way I could get some photos of it? I'd love to be able to catch this unit.

#427270  by kevikens

That unit was still there about two months ago and is usually parked, on weekends anyway, within sight of the road. I had no idea that it had a Hoboken pedigree.

#427274  by pgengler

kevikens wrote:That unit was still there about two months ago and is usually parked, on weekends anyway, within sight of the road. I had no idea that it had a Hoboken pedigree.
Thanks for the info. What road is it that it's near? I'd like to get down there some weekend and take a look, but I honestly have no idea where the railroad is (other than "Morrisville", which isn't too specific).

#427282  by kevikens

It's on South Pennsylvania Ave. which is the exit immediatly after you pay the toll on the US route One bridge that connects Trenton, NJ to Morrisville, Pa. It's about one mile south on your right. While you are there you might want to photograph Morris Tower and if you go east from there about two blocks you will have an excellent view of the NEC as it approaches the stone arch bridge over the Delaware, Amtrak, Septa, NJT and the occasional CSAO freight. It's a perfectly safe area and a good location to spend a fgw hours. Best light is from about 10 AM-2PM but after that you can park on the other side of the bridge.

#427286  by pgengler

kevikens wrote:It's on South Pennsylvania Ave. which is the exit immediatly after you pay the toll on the US route One bridge that connects Trenton, NJ to Morrisville, Pa. It's about one mile south on your right. While you are there you might want to photograph Morris Tower and if you go east from there about two blocks you will have an excellent view of the NEC as it approaches the stone arch bridge over the Delaware, Amtrak, Septa, NJT and the occasional CSAO freight. It's a perfectly safe area and a good location to spend a fgw hours. Best light is from about 10 AM-2PM but after that you can park on the other side of the bridge.
Thanks. I've actually been near that before, a few years back, getting some photos of NJT/Amtrak/SEPTA over the Delaware River bridge and Morris Tower. This was before I got my new camera, and I've been meaning to go back. This is all the more reason. Thanks a lot for the info.

#427296  by chuchubob

kevikens wrote: ... While you are there you might want to photograph Morris Tower and if you go east from there about two blocks you will have an excellent view of the NEC as it approaches the stone arch bridge over the Delaware, Amtrak, Septa, NJT and the occasional CSAO freight. It's a perfectly safe area and a good location to spend a few hours...
Some examples from June 8:
HHP-8
ALP46
AEM7
Acela Express

#427329  by JimBoylan

400 just got a new coat of blue paint with white trim and American flag decals. Its twin, HS 701, later became Adirondak RR 107, and then was returned to New Hope, Pa. I don't know if it is still there.
As for access, one of the tenants in the Tyburn Railroad yard placed a help wanted ad and listed the address and hours, instead of a phone number. It's 1535 South Pennsylvania Avenue in Falls Township, outside Morrisville Boro, on the way to the United States Steel Mill. Look for a white on black sign "Tyburn Railroad" and a black on yellow "1535" next to a fire hydrant on the side of the avenue away from the river. Go back a long stone driveway and cross some tracks into the yard. Then, you'll just have to wander around to find the locomotive. Is that where you thought you were to go to apply for a job!
Traffic is tank cars, covered hoppers, equipped box cars, and high sided gons, even some end dump gons!
The other engine we own is 390, a 45-ton side rod G.E., built for American Bridge right across the river in Trenton, N.J.

#427578  by trainspot

Jim, How's Mike's SW-1 coming along? I see the hood is back on.
 #427644  by JimBoylan

Check with Mr. Crain about his ex ConRail 8564, but I think you're seeing all the progress there is.
 #967947  by locobill

Do you know if they could use an un-certified locomotive engineer ? I've worked on industrial railroads since 1972 at U S Steel, Claymont Steel, and Fairless Iron & Metal as an engineer. Certification was never required. All tracks were either on private property or fell under a Grandfather clause when crossing highways.
Thanks