Railroad Forums 

• Erie Railroad Avon, NY Roundhouse

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#981000  by nydepot

I've seen a photo of an enginehouse (2-3 stalls). Here is a map of the TT. No RH shown.

Charles
Attachments:
Avon 1902
Avon 1902
Avon.jpg (19.29 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
 #981004  by scottychaos

Thanks Charles!
It seems likely there were at least two different turntables in Avon, perhaps at different times..
that map clearly shows only a turntable, no roundhouse, and there doesnt appear to be much room for a roundhouse at that particular location..
perhaps that was just a "quick turnaround" turntable for locals..

But we also have references to "shops" at Avon..and there is proof that there was once a roundhouse in Avon,
the Erie railroad itself said so, in 1910:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... welch.html

I assume this turntable/roundhouse/"shops" area was probably inside the Wye?

Scot
 #981014  by nydepot

Those funny buildings in the 1902 are it. Here's 1872.

Your article mentions early 1880s so this map would be it. So only one TT.

I think the large building at the bottom is what was used later for the "shops" for the electrics while steam was still handled at the enginehouse. Unless it's the building in the center the tracks go through.

Charles
Attachments:
Avon 1872
Avon 1872
1872.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
 #981028  by scottychaos

interesting..thanks charles!
I have never seen a roundhouse depicted as seperate buildings like that before..
I wonder what the reasoning was there?
I cant imagine they were actually seperate engine houses, that wouldnt make sense..

Scot
 #981104  by nydepot

From Gordon's book. You need to get this, Scot.

1919 on photo. No date for map.
Attachments:
Erie Avon RH
Erie Avon RH
RH.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Map.JPG
Map.JPG (88.13 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
 #981132  by scottychaos

ah ha! there are two roundhouses afterall! :)
and one is clearly inside the wye..I knew I saw that somewhere!
(I think I have taken that book out of the library before..)

thanks Charles!
that clinches it then..
clearly two turntables..and possibly two rundhouses..
but its not clear if the 1872 and 1902 maps actually show a roundhouse or not..
I dont think a roundhouse would be shown as separate structures like that..so that one is still iffy..
but thanks! thats 90% solved then,,

Scot
 #981840  by erie2521

If you look at the 1902 map, (1) The wye had not yet been constructed, (2) The turntable, etc. was still the original one on the east side of the yard and (3) The land on both sides of the Attica branch was owned by Herbert Wadsworth. In 1905, the railroad purchased eleven acres of this property between the Attica and Rochester branches and constructed the wye. This was soon followed by a five-stall roundhouse and the facilities for the soon to be installed electric service. I think the reason why the wye hadn't been constructed earlier was that all Attica branch trains, passenger and freight, started or terminated in Avon. It wasn't until sometime in the 1930's that what would later become RC75 and RC98 were introduced that ran between Buffalo and Rochester. Ted