Railroad Forums 

• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1453446  by JoeS

A couple of comments -

Regarding the train speed, I have heard that the usual practice for train speed over a newly resurfaced section of track is reduced until so many tons have passed over it. Then an inspection to ensure no settlement or problem areas exist before the TSR is lifted. So - with all new fill and brand new bridge I would guess that they want a LOT of tonnage across it before they raise the speed up to design values.

Regarding the abutments, piers, etc - it was specified in the final environmental impact statement (FEIS) that all would be removed in order to return the banks and stream bed back to an undisturbed state. This may have been a requirement to swing the deal for the new bridge, who knows. But any remaining piers would attract people, i.e. "hey, bet you can't climb that!" and possible mishaps arising from failed attempts - especially so close to the top of the falls.
 #1453494  by JoeS

Went to the park today to check things out. Caught a short eastbound crossing just after we arrived. I'd say it was moving at around 20 or 25 miles per hour, significantly faster than over the old bridge.

And indeed, there is a crane in place on the west end of the old bridge and there may be one on the east, just not visible from where we were. The west end one was swinging its boom around so yeah, they're taking it down. :-(
 #1455108  by thebigham

John Kucko pic taken today:

"End of an era: As an eastbound Norfolk Southern freight crosses the new arch high above the Genesee River gorge at Letchworth SP, the old 1875 trestle will soon be gone. A close look here and one can see the rail track is now off the iron structure. Ties will be removed next week, as well as the hand railing. And then the process will begin of dismantling the 142 and a half year iconic bridge. It was built in just 53 days back in 1875. It will take at least that to remove it. Should be completely gone be the end of February. History in the making here in WNY!"
Attachments:
letchworth103.jpg
letchworth103.jpg (283.6 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
 #1455124  by Leo_Ames

Sad to see her go and it's unfortunate it won't be repurposed for recreation, but nice to see a beautiful bridge take up her role and help prepare this line for the decades ahead.

Sometimes it feels much too soon when a historic bridge is lost, especially in the highway world. But it's hard to argue that this one hasn't surpassed its original lifespan by many years and was in need for replacement. The railroad got its money's worth in 1875 out of this one.
 #1455153  by ctclark1

It's gotta be a bit odd for crews too... Probably for as long as and of them can ever remember they have been slowing down to 10 on approach to that bridge, I wonder how many of them start this out of habit before remembering they don't have to anymore.
 #1455568  by Matt Langworthy

The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society staffers who organized/ran NKP #765 were pretty tired after the 2015 trips in NY and PA. I don't think we'll see #765 back in NY for at least a few years.
 #1455580  by thebigham

John Kucko Digital on Facebook:

End of an Era: An update on the 1875 High Bridge at Letchworth SP and its dismantling. As one can see in the bottom image, the actually track has been removed from the iconic trestle. In the middle image, work is underway in removing the ballast (crushed stone) leading up to the iron structure. The next steps are removing the actual railroad ties on the bridge, as well as the hand railing--a process that will take at least a week. Once that is completed, some of the much heavier work will commence. The goal is to have the entire trestle, including concrete supports, removed by the end of February--though this harsh early winter most certainly could alter the timeline. In the meantime, the "Arch for the Ages" continues to perform like a champ. Trains cross the Genesee River gorge at 25 MPH. Captured these yesterday on yet another wintry morning here in WNY.
Attachments:
letchworth101.jpg
letchworth101.jpg (385.52 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
 #1455600  by Otto Vondrak

Matt Langworthy wrote:The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society staffers who organized/ran NKP #765 were pretty tired after the 2015 trips in NY and PA. I don't think we'll see #765 back in NY for at least a few years.
Especially since NS just announced no more steam trips on their rails (unless it's operated by Amtrak).
 #1455685  by SST

Speaking of Fort Wayne RR.....I've been looking for old pictures when a Northwest Airlines 747-200 came to Buffalo and took San Diego to London. I can't find them anywhere and realized that the one computer the pics were on was stolen and the other computer that had copies, crashed. Now, reading Otto's comment about NS, I thought, thank God I rode that train. And then I realized that those pictures are all gone as well. Flash drive your pics!