Railroad Forums 

• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1448423  by lvrr325

I saw that one going up, it started by just as I got in the shower and was still going when I got out. And I didn't rush.

At that length it must clog the railroad, since it wouldn't easily fit in a siding, opposing trains have to hold for it.
 #1448458  by tree68

lvrr325 wrote:At that length it must clog the railroad, since it wouldn't easily fit in a siding, opposing trains have to hold for it.
No problem. EHH will just chase away enough business so the trains fit in the sidings again...
 #1448796  by Bigt

Maybe posting in wrong place, but, here goes. Was in Massena yesterday and saw a northbound
leaving the yard. Two units #s 907 & 911 (?). From my vantage point, I was looking at the fireman's
side of both cabs. The second unit had a small (about the size of the old tractor trailer type cab
clearance lights) amber light on the side of the cab - below the window, and, directly in front
of the unit number. This light was lit. The lead unit had the same light, but, was not lit.
My question is: what is this light, and, what does it signify?
 #1448797  by charlie6017

Bigt wrote:Maybe posting in wrong place, but, here goes. Was in Massena yesterday and saw a northbound
leaving the yard. Two units #s 907 & 911 (?). From my vantage point, I was looking at the fireman's
side of both cabs. The second unit had a small (about the size of the old tractor trailer type cab
clearance lights) amber light on the side of the cab - below the window, and, directly in front
of the unit number. This light was lit. The lead unit had the same light, but, was not lit.
I just read something about these on another forum......maybe Facebook, about Norfolk Southern power
with the same type of lights (on fireman side). I believe it's a light in regard to cab signaling. Of course it's
curious why such a light would be illuminated on this line, as there are no signals.

Charlie
 #1448809  by tree68

I've seen GP38-2's with a small rotating beacon on the engineer's side - I've been told that it has to do with an auxiliary power unit, which kicks in if the prime mover shuts down.

Can't say as I've seen the lights you mention - will have to pay attention next time I see one. I know a CSX engineer, but don't see him often. Maybe he'll show up at Syracuse.
 #1448884  by Ironman

Bigt wrote:Maybe posting in wrong place, but, here goes. Was in Massena yesterday and saw a northbound
When those lights are lit it means the LSL is cut in. The LSL enforces the speed in conjunction with the cab signal indication. For example: you are running on a clear cab signal doing 50MPH. The cab signal then drops to approach. You have 20 seconds to get to 30MPH or it will give you a penalty brake application. It will enforce a speed even in non cab signal territory if it is cut in, 20MPH due to the cab signal always displaying restricting in non cab signal territory.

This only applies when the locomotive is setup for lead, if the locomotive is set up in trail it has no effect if cut in but the lights will still be on.

The only place I know for sure that uses the LSL are the Amtrak lines from Hoffmans to Poughkeepsie. I think the NEC does too and I'm not sure about Metro-North

The B&A, even though it is cab signal territory does not use the LSL.
 #1449475  by johnpbarlow

Interesting excerpt from G&W's recent Q317 earnings conference call with financial analysts:
...just sort of continuing with that theme, CSX's CEO, Mr. Hunter Harrison, had recently mentioned that he is potentially looking at selling some of CSX's operations in Canada including two terminals and a rail line in Montreal. Is this something that GWR would be interested in and would this fit with the new investment strategy?
And here is the vague reply from G&W exec John Hellman:
Well, with respect to any specific opportunities that emerge such as the one you identified, we generally don't comment on any specific potential investments or acquisitions until there's actually a transaction to talk about. You can always assume that if – particularly for a company that has a significant presence in Canada like we do, that we evaluate – it's rare that there's ever an opportunity that emerges that we don't take a careful look at it and determine whether or not it's a good fit for us.

So I wouldn't comment on the specifics, but to the extent that there is any short line opportunities or spin-offs or the like, you can always assume that our business development team is taking a careful look at it. And so I think I'll just leave it at that.
FWIW, G&W also mentioned elsewhere that cash flow is strong and they're in the market for acquiring any RR's spun-off track...
 #1449656  by RMB357

You can see this sale coming. Harrison is cancelling huge projects, the Howard Street tunnel expansion/rebuilding, the intermodal terminal in North Carolina, North Baltimore Ohio's huge terminal and the resignation of Sanborn and Eliasson with his former CN man Foote. The whole system is being widdled away so he can eventually attempt another merger in my opinion.
 #1449793  by johnpbarlow

Another morsel of info re: CSX intentions for Canadian traffic: Excerpt from Trains Magazine on-line news item interview with CSX CFO Frank Lonegro indicates "the intermodal terminal in Valleyfield, Quebec, outside Montreal, has not lived up to expectations and that Harrison has said CSX should dispose of its Canadian trackage." (Trains Magazine's words, not Lonegro's).

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... gro-speaks