Railroad Forums 

• Trackside bars in NY state?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#416483  by northjerseybuff

I posted this on the NJ forum with some good responses. I do live close to the NY state border and try to locate great trackside bars to grab a brewskee and watch some trains. Any additions to this list?

Riverline
Kelly's pub-tappan ny. outdoor patio directly next to the tracks!
There are a few in Congers, NY(3) within a block of the riverline
Haverstraw---
Whats the place up under the Pougkeepsie bridge on the riverline side? on the river? with the marina?

Southern Tier- Port Jervis-Erie Hotel
Callicoon- at least 2 along the tracks that I know of

Pearl river-several within the train station downtown

#416492  by driftinmark

charlies coldwater station, i dont know what it is now, but it was great, used to have a brew and feel the trains thru thr floor, even had a few tables set up outside.............great place!!!!!!

it was on coldwater road on the main line in gates ny
 #416503  by henry6

I noticed this was also posted on the NJ pages, northjerseyrailbuff. Perhaps you are confused. These pages are for railfans and railroads, et al. We are ALCOholics not alcoholics. We mean other things when we talk about bars or we are referencing bar cars as a unique piece of equipment or as a unique operation. There are those amongst us who are strict adherants to Rule G and might ask our moderators to raize the bar here.

Make mine bourbon on the rocks, er, ballast!

#416507  by CarterB

Olde Towne Inne, 116 Orange Ave, Suffern NY...right across from the Suffern Station.

#416508  by FarmallBob

driftinmark wrote:charlies coldwater station, i dont know what it is now, but it was great, used to have a brew and feel the trains thru thr floor, even had a few tables set up outside.............great place!!!!!!

it was on coldwater road on the main line in gates ny
Great place indeed!!

Charlie's Coldwater is now MacGregor's Grill & Tap Room. Large selection of draft and bottled beers and excellent food - esp. the Friday fish fry...

The Chicago Line runs literally at the edge of the patio deck, and the CSX "Coldwater" detector is only 100 or so feet away.

The image below was shot recently from MacGregor's patio deck. (The lead unit is atop detector in this shot.)

Last edited by FarmallBob on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#416545  by charlie6017

There is also a MacGregor's along the West Shore branch in Henrietta--you can see CSX action as well as the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville.

#416558  by FarmallBob

The Sierra is perched alongside the Southern Tier in "downtown" Swain. I've only visited during ski season - uncertain whether the Sierra is open during the off-season.

#416562  by pennsy

Hi All,

Seems that you have stumbled on something common to most, if not all, RR stations, a watering hole close by. Recently spent some time at the Upland Metrolink RR station and noticed some new shops in residence in the old Santa Fe RR station. Yup, one was a watering hole. As an observation; a drink at such a place is a bit more expensive than at your neighborhood watering hole, ie the 19th hole.

#416575  by VTM

Til 1976

Rams' Rush Inn at Rush, NY

MP 382 on the LV. Always could catch ME-1 in the evening about 830/900 and if running late LV-2 and AP-2 although they typically passed mid to late afternoon outside my normal beverage consumption hours. (Plus trackside then with camera...)

If I was running late <L> you would see COJ-32 about 1130 PM or so...one night it seems with C&O power out of Niagara Falls..

The BPL crew returning to Buffalo from Rochester Jct; on Fridays would stop at the westward home signal and get take out fish frys...

One night in June 1972 with an eastbound stopped at Rush INT due to signals out, and (it can be said now) we bought the crew a "take out" drink and hitched a ride east to Manchester during the Agnes 1972 flood. We had a pair of C-628's and it was neat going into Manchester that evening with a lot of the tracks in the EB yard occupied with trains yarded waiting to go east...tower yard lights on....a reminder of long gone days....even back then.

The fun came when I had to call my Mother (in Honeoye Falls) from the LV Restaurant and explain to her as to why we needed a ride home from Manchester....

Hope you enjoy the flashbacks

VTM

"Every place enjoys a visit from those who loved it."

#416588  by TW1976

Guinan's Country Store in Garrison, NY.

It is a step back into history, walk through the deli and into the back room, it is a great little pub with great views of both the Hudson and West Shore Divisions.

They only serve beer and sandwiches, but the place is a real trip!

I believe its days are numbered so catch it while you can.

Last edited by TW1976 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

#416590  by scharnhorst

McMurpys Pub in the Holiday Inn in Auburn, NY the FGLK Tracks are about 50 yards to the West of the building

Bars on State Street in the Auburn Area all Bars are less than 1 block from the Finger Lakes Railway Main Line.

Wet Willies on State Street
Franks Inn on State Street
Rockin Robins on State Street
BJ's Bar & Grill on State Street
Moriartys on State Street

Teddy's Tavern on Perrine St (off of State Street) 4 doors up from the Tracks

Big Kahuna's Raw Bar & Grille on Columbus Street
8 Doors down from the old AGWAY/ FGLK Yard

Wall St. Tavern on Wall Street
1 Block down from the FGLK Tracks next to the Prison.

#416611  by lakeshoredave

How about Wanakah Grille next to the CSX and NS tracks on Pleasant Ave west of Buffalo in Hamburg/Lake View?