Railroad Forums 

• Move Your Van! NYSW Schuyler Street Utica 1/22/19

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1497751  by DutchRailnut

since crew represents the company, that would not be a good Idea and would not give good publicity.
 #1497766  by CarterB

DutchRailnut wrote:since crew represents the company, that would not be a good Idea and would not give good publicity.
Understood, but sure woulda been fun to watch!!!
 #1498483  by BR&P

Greetings from the south 51 degrees and sunny!

ONCT had vehicles towed on at least 2 occasions, once a hunter parked foul of the main, another time a party goer parked across the track in the parking lot in Victor. NYSW probably did the same.
 #1498484  by DutchRailnut

railroad is in a public street , so if parking is legal there, and railroad tows a car they have a good change of a lawsuit.
and a case of bad publicity.
 #1498518  by BandA

You are supposed to park within some "x" distance of the curb. It is hard to judge with the snow banks, so the owner of the van probably had no clue, plus the track is not visible. The railroad should definitely be able to tow cars fouling their line. My question would be, is the horn rated for continuous duty cycle? Take a photo, call the tow truck, blow the horn, knock on the neighbor's door (since the crew is just sitting), definitely have the police issue a parking ticket! Police can run the registration and call the owner using any contact info they have... PIA but these things happen!

EDIT - after watching the video, what a moron! A lazy moron!
 #1498551  by oibu

railroad is in a public street , so if parking is legal there, and railroad tows a car they have a good change of a lawsuit.
and a case of bad publicity.
I'm quite confident no jurisdiction would find in favor of the vehicle owner having been "legally parked" while in physical obstruction of a rail line engaged in interstate commerce (or anything else, for that matter). Also bear in mind NYS&W has its own police, who I would expect would be involved in some capacity if the local PD was not. I'm sure the legal-ese of street trackage is a nightmare, but at the end of the day the fact that the RR is in the street does not make it irrelevant and subject to closure at any time as a result of the random whims of any and all other users.
 #1499035  by ctclark1

eolesen wrote:What the crew wanted to do....

https://youtu.be/DjMY5B0GJi8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Operation Lifesaver should change their slogan to "Trains don't give a f*** about your car" :P

Despite what train crews try to tell their locomotives.... Those pesky multi-million ton trains just don't want to stop.