Railroad Forums 

• Gardenville line is packed with cars 12/13/16

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1412281  by SST

I crossed over the Gardenville line this morning (10:15am) and I saw a looong line of cars sitting underneath the 400. I have no idea how long they've been there or if a set of locomotives are attached. To much traffic around me to pay strict attention. I'll be looking over the line a bit later. I'll try to snap a picture. Nice to see something on the line.
 #1412286  by SST

Update:
It's actually a short line of NS covered hoppers. From the 400 south. I crossed over the line on the thruway but it didn't go that far. I'll have a better view coming home.
 #1412376  by Railroaded

The track under the 400 is called the NS's "Buffalo Line", its' former PRR trackage. The NYC Gardenville Branch (Main Line tracks 5 & 6) ran next to this line, alongside & to the East of it. As it curves South thru Lackawanna, it shifts onto the former LV's Lehigh & Lake Erie branch over Abbot Rd, & then onto the original Terminal Railway of Buffalo's bridges near Blasedel.
Last edited by Railroaded on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1412378  by Railroaded

The track under the 400 is called the NS's "Buffalo Line", its' former PRR trackage. The NYC Gardenville Branch (Main Line tracks 5 & 6) ran next to this line, alongside & to the East of it. As it curves South thru Lackawanna, it shifts onto the former LV's Lehigh & Lake Erie branch over Abbot Rd, & then onto the original Terminal Railway of Buffalo's bridges near Blasedel.
 #1412469  by SST

I have to laugh at myself because while their are NS and NW hoppers sitting on the track, it ain't packed. After coming home in the opposite direction I got a better glimpse of the track from the Thruway looking north. No cars south of Ridge Rd. We exited at Ridge and couldn't see any rail cars to the north of Ridge Rd but could make out a few on the north side of Potters/Orchard Park Rd.

I would guess storage too. Maybe more coming?
 #1412483  by ctclark1

Just storage. With the exception of moving stored cars in and out of there, you won't see any active trains on that section of the Buffalo Line due to the bridge at Electric Ave. It has been discussed previously (and extensively) that this section is OOS and is blocked with ties just south of Willet Rd. NS doesn't use the Buffalo Line from GJ South (or is it East, I can't remember TT direction at the moment) either, BPRR leases it to get to Machias which allowed them to abandon the old B&O Third Main. Both railroads use the Ebenezer Secondary to get from GJ to DRAW.
 #1412489  by lvrr325

Whatever's wrong with it, it's not readily obvious in street view, although the picture is a little funky up close.

Whatever was the story on the spine cars that sat there for so many years? Obsolete and waiting for lease to end to scrap them?
 #1412505  by dj_paige

ctclark1 wrote:Just storage. With the exception of moving stored cars in and out of there, you won't see any active trains on that section of the Buffalo Line due to the bridge at Electric Ave.
Where is Electric Avenue? I am having trouble finding it on a map. Thanks!
 #1412627  by lvrr325

dj_paige wrote:
ctclark1 wrote:Just storage. With the exception of moving stored cars in and out of there, you won't see any active trains on that section of the Buffalo Line due to the bridge at Electric Ave.

Electric Avenue is a block west of NY-62/South Park Ave. between Ridge Rd. in Lackawanna and Lake Ave. in Blasdell. A business known as Blasdell Kustoms is located right by the bridge in question.
 #1412651  by scratchy

dj_paige wrote:
Ask Eddy Grant?
 #1412673  by dj_paige

scratchy wrote:
dj_paige wrote:
Ask Eddy Grant?
I probably should have thought of that! :) :-D
 #1412964  by ctclark1

Street view of Electric Ave Bridge https://goo.gl/maps/deuH1zcFdTJ2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bird's Eye of Electric Ave Bridge (viewed to the South, the normal North view sucks here) https://binged.it/2gMN396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"End of the line" just east of Willet Rd https://binged.it/2gMMH2p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was always my understanding that it was this bridge that knocked the line OOS, but I guess in reality it could've been that one, or the one over the NS/BSOR, or the one over CSX, but I'm pretty sure it was the Electric Ave one.