Railroad Forums 

• Temporary shutdown on the D&H 9/18/15

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1348988  by Matt Langworthy

From http://www.nscorp.com earlier this week:
As previously announced, the Surface Transportation Board has granted approval for Norfolk Southern to purchase certain portions of the Delaware & Hudson Railroad. As a result, NS will begin to operate these lines at 12:01am on Saturday, September 19, 2015. In order to prepare for this, D&H will cease all operations on the impacted lines effective 5:00pm Friday, September 18th through 12:00am Saturday, September 19th. All train operations will experience a complete shutdown during this time until rail operations are systematically brought back online.
Most of the road freights (i.e. non-locals) that operate on the Southern Tier Mainline will be affected- as they operate to, from or through Binghamton.
 #1349083  by ricebrianrice

NS expects everything up and running by Monday.
They are shutting everything down to do a complete inventory of all cars on the system. They are going to drive the entire system, and check and record every car.
They also have to stop the trains before the switch over, so they know exactly how many miles to pay CP for Haulage rights.

This also give CP a chance to pack up and go home.

Monday should be a fun day, luckily I have no inbound shipments right now so I am safe.
 #1349107  by newpylong

CP refused inbound cars from Pan Am Southern as of Tuesday night in preparation for the cutover.

NS has told Pan Am to expect at least the Z trains to be coming inbound to them Saturday.
 #1349128  by ricebrianrice

D&H GP-38 7303, Northbound into East Binghamton Yard pulling a string of Double stacks for the LAST time!

Probably the last CP train on the old DL&W.
 #1349298  by Matt Langworthy

Some trains are moving already, including 205 and 12T. Speaking of 12T, its symbol will change to 37T soon and 13T will become 36T.