Railroad Forums 

• Official Black River Railroad Historic Trust Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1362585  by greyhairedpete

brwfan wrote:That is a neat looking machine, how many times an hour can it do? Also do you have to dig out the ties first or can it get a hold and pull them out?
We do not have to dig out the ties. The machine clamps onto the rails, and pulls the old ones out.

It's hard to say how many can be done in an hour or a day. It really depends on the condition of the old ties and the ballast/roadbed. The more I run the machine, the quicker I get.

There's also a hydraulic spiking gun which runs off the machine, which is of course much faster and easier than hand-spiking.
 #1363463  by greyhairedpete

The day after Christmas, and we were brush-cutting, cleared about 3/4 of a mile. Unfortunately, our powered pole saw quit, we dulled a few chainsaws, poked by sticker bushes and were covered in cling-ons (burrs). The casualties of war (against foliage)......

And we high-railed about a 1/4 mile past Mount Airy road!
 #1363476  by brwfan

Moving right along great job! I believe hamp road is next then 202? Think you guy will make it to lambertville as far as brush clearing this year? Also wondering what's going on with 438, does the trust own it or a lease? Any mechanical difficulties? I only saw it used a few times.
 #1363483  by greyhairedpete

Not sure what the 438 needs, so I can't comment.

As for reaching Route 202, who knows? Going to depend on the weather (keep your fingers crossed for a continued mild winter), manpower, etc. But remember, brush cutting is only stage one.

We have about 500 ties on hand to put in, but we also have bridges to worry about, ditching, etc, so Lambertville is not going to happen overnight......

This is all being done by volunteers. And many of us are also involved with train service, the car shop, and the Steam team, so L'ville work is done when time and funds allow.
 #1363660  by brwfan

I hope for a mild winter, I work outside all day so this year has been great. I was watching YouTube videos and saw one of railroad days, I was curious if you guys still had the wreck crane, and if its used for anything or just kept in case?
 #1363719  by Ken W2KB

brwfan wrote:Moving right along great job! I believe hamp road is next then 202? Think you guy will make it to lambertville as far as brush clearing this year? Also wondering what's going on with 438, does the trust own it or a lease? Any mechanical difficulties? I only saw it used a few times.
The Trust owns the 438, subject to a reverter provision that title will be restored to the United Railroad Historical Society at no cost should the Trust ever decide to dispose of the 438.
 #1364001  by greyhairedpete

brwfan wrote:I hope for a mild winter, I work outside all day so this year has been great. I was watching YouTube videos and saw one of railroad days, I was curious if you guys still had the wreck crane, and if its used for anything or just kept in case?
There are actually two wreck cranes on the property, not sure when they were last run.
 #1369187  by Ken W2KB

brwfan wrote:Thanks. Any plans to replace it or are 4 coaches enough?
Building on the experience in restoring former CRRNJ coach 1009, the Trust plans next to restore former DL&W open platform coach 305.
 #1372083  by Donko142

That is awesome news guys !!!! Keep fighting the fight, you're certainly making a lot of good progress. My God last time I was down there I Hyrailed from Finkels to Ringos with Rod, had to be around 1999-2000. Very scenic piece of railroad.