Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#5651  by wolfboy8171981

A boxcar of brick came into Browns yard with a different consignee name, keep an eye on the old Atlantic Brick building in Farmingdale, as maybe its for the new customer their.

#5662  by CRRNJ878

wolfboy8171981 wrote:A boxcar of brick came into Browns yard with a different consignee name, keep an eye on the old Atlantic Brick building in Farmingdale, as maybe its for the new customer their.
Good to hear...I worked at one point for Atlantic Brick...company was in big financial trouble....anyway good to see the new tenant, which is a masonry distributor, should be taking advantage of rail access.

Wolf, are you aware of how many cars can fit in that siding?

#5796  by wolfboy8171981

I Beleive two cars can be on the dock at the same time.

#6364  by RRSpike

The shoving platform at Lakehurst is NYC 901014. The one used out of Brown's Yard in June 2003 to go down to CO Steel in Sayreville was NYC 901012 (built in 1950).

#6460  by wolfboy8171981

We have three cars assigned to Browns yard 901007, 901012, 901014.

#6891  by wolfboy8171981

Look for a Sperry Car monday to head down and test the Southern....... also look for massive speed restrictions for Tuesday.

#7113  by transit383

Do you still have the CSX caboose in Browns or have the three platforms taken its place?

#7158  by wolfboy8171981

The caboose was returned to Oak Island after the santa train.

#7218  by RRSpike

Wolf: Of the three shoving platforms assigned to Browns, where are they used? I'm guessing one for the Southern Secondary, one for the moves to Sayreville's CO Steel, and one for ???????

#7234  by wolfboy8171981

Well untill the one came down the southern all three were used around the yard. No one car is assigned to any job its just what ever one is available. We use the car(s): To shove to/from the Steel mill, from Silverline, and to Inland/PJS.

For instance say the SA-2 has a shove car and is working. the Drill job might drill the ordered steel cars against the other shove car for the SA-22 so there train is ready to go. Other times two cars might sit on the end of track 12 because its easier just to cycle one car around.

So to answer your question any car at any time on any job.

#7530  by Jtgshu

I wonder how the Sperry made out.......lots of restrictions coming??

Are they running the Sprerry to check for any potential problems with teh Sand trains? or is it just the Southern's turn for the inspections....The Southern always looks good and in pretty decent condition, considering the amount of trains which currently do or I should say, don't, operate down it!!!

#7538  by wolfboy8171981

Good news is there is only one speed restriction..... Bad news its for the entire length of the Southern. 10 MPH MP38 to MP66

#7575  by Jtgshu

DOH!!!

Well, at least it's not hard to miss!

BTW, how do the mileposts work down there? where are they measured from? Is MP38 at Red Bank? Is that from Elizabeth or Eport or JC (via NY and LB and the Chem Coast)? Its definately not from the original mainline to Port Monmouth, as that is only about 10 miles to the former port at Port Monmouth. The old mileposts east of River draw to Union interlocking, where NJT referres to them as E0.0, etc, are right next to the current ones. MP E6.0, just east of Perth Amboy has the old milepost next to it, and is MP21 (im pretty sure its 21), so plus one mile to River, plus 16 to Red Bank, would put the Southern Sec at about 38.

Welll, it looks like I answered my own question.....am I right?

#7577  by wolfboy8171981

You are right. The mileposts on the Chemical coast are from JC except from PN to PORT those are from Brills Jct but from PORT to WOOD (MP9.5 to MP20) is from JC, then 18 miles south BANK to LAKEHURST is MP38 to MP66 and beyond

#7590  by CRRNJ878

With speed restrictions on the southern at 10 mph, will repairs/upgrade need to be made for regular operations? With the sand trains being a possibility, is 10 mph feasible for these types of sand moves?

Anyone know if they inspect the TRIT, when they do the southern?

Rgds....