Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1395  by CRRNJ878

Does anyone have any more photos of the line below union ave in Lakehurst. I know Wolf has posted some previously..
regards....

#1609  by JJMDiMunno

transit383 wrote:Mike,

The transfer platform that we have up here in Browns doesn't look quite like that. Ours doesn't have that narrow aisle, but rather just railings surrounding a flat car (picture a gondola car with the sides removed and railings put up in place of them). The railings are kind of like the ones that are used at Great Adventure (or any amusement park) to create lines for the rides. The car up here is painted yellow and gray.
Oh yeah, we had one of those for a while also at Paulsboro...there are actually only a few of those CSAO shoving platforms...most of them were developed in the way you stated with the railings (the cheapo method)...
 #1948  by TOMSTV

CRRNJ878..
There is an old web page with some pictures on it , for what it's worth.Go to http://members.aol.com/jdtracks
then go to:
"embark on a photoghaphic tour"
and go through to list of pics.

#2107  by CRRNJ878

Thanks....appreciate it...

#2443  by 1st Barnegat

transit383 wrote:...The transfer platform that we have up here in Browns doesn't look quite like that. Ours doesn't have that narrow aisle, but rather just railings surrounding a flat car (picture a gondola car with the sides removed and railings put up in place of them). The railings are kind of like the ones that are used at Great Adventure (or any amusement park) to create lines for the rides. The car up here is painted yellow and gray...
That is an exact description of the shoving platform that was (and maybe still is) in Lakehurst on March 12, 2004.

What do the crews think of it instead of a caboose? Doesn't a caboose at least provide some protection from the weather?

#2623  by CRRNJ878

Any other info/rumors on the sand train prospect on the southern....I wonder if Wolf has been on the new board.....Usually, a good source of info on the line

#2642  by wolfboy8171981

Well i think i figured this new site out. I'm still hearing the same things, mid April start up. I also heard 20,000 loads of sand. Two jobs would be created one most likely out of Browns to taxi down to Manchester, the other would sign up in Bayonne Two sets of power and three sets of 50 cars. I also heard that our track dept says it can rehab the 4 miles of track in a weeks time.

As for the shove car.... we call them Splat's... short for shoving platform or the sound you make if you hit somthing. they offer NO protection from anything, i'd rather ride the end of the car than take the splat.

wolf
 #2658  by njt4172

Oh, I just can't wait for this operation to begin!!!! I need train chaser maps of the area south of Lakewood... Can anyone speculate as to what kind of power will be used???

:-D :D :D :D :D

Steve

#2700  by CRRNJ878

Interesting wolf....wow 4 miles of track in one week....Would be great if we can get photos of the progress if/when it begins...

hmmm 4 miles in a week...how many more to winslow?....just day dreaming again...

#2792  by wolfboy8171981

Their contention is that they dont have to work under traffic. I'd give them two weeks i cant see just a single week.

As power goes, The contractor will be leasing power for the trains. my guess is they will lease the engines from either NS or CSX as i dont know of any lease units that have cab signals except LMS.

#2803  by CRRNJ878

Pardon my ignorance on this....is it 4 miles south of union ave stricly on the mainline and then the spur to the site or is it 4 miles in total. Interesting to see if the bridge below union ave will have to be replaced...

#3307  by JOHN

CRRNJ878
If you are interested I can email you some photos that I have taken south and west of Union Ave, Lakehurst. Just email me if you are interested.
Also if anyone is interested the propane cars on the TRIT have been moved out and the shoving platform at Lakehurst was moved to the sewage loading track, so I guess the train was down sometime yesterday or last night.

#4795  by creeker

Yes i found it. I havent seen the train this week. Dose anyone know if that sand train thing is offical yet?

-Eric