Railroad Forums 

• Former Railroads in Bolton, MA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1033453  by SpiderHill

I have been a lurker on this site for a couple of years and this thread has finally compelled me to register and post.

I am very familiar with this entire area. I really enjoyed looking at the map and reading the discussion. A couple of things I can add:

1. The utility ROW that is mentioned is a Tennessee Gas Pipeline. The pipeline heads west through the Nashoba Regional High School athletic fields before heading south paralleling the International Golf Course. Ultimately this pipeline ends in Clinton and parallels a portion of a long spur off of the Agricultural Branch Railroad (CSX Fitchburg Secondary).

2. The rock cut that can be seen from 495 is definitely the Lancaster Railroad ROW. The pipeline crosses 495 a bit north of this location.

3. More of the right of way can be seen on the Lancaster end from where the blue line ends on the map. Unfortunately the foliage in these views blocks a lot of what is going on. The open area at the end of the blue line is a golf driving range. The ROW is definitely visible in this area. It crosses Wilder Road and parallels the far side of the International Golf Course and crosses the Tennessee Gas line. The Lancaster Railroad roadbed is visible through parts of the golf course and is basically the property line with some neighboring homes. It then crosses Bolton Station Road and Mill Street Extension. It is visible in this area as well. Last fall a contractor bulldozed flat a small part of the roadbed in this area. Most is still visible where he was working. From here, most of the ROW is built on. I had a relative who lived on Mill Street Extension and I was able to walk part of the ROW in this area. A sub development was built a few years back and it is all gone now in this area. It becomes visible again on the other side of Route 110 on the north side of Mill Street. To the east of the Pack & Postal Center is the Nashua River. It is hard to tell there is a river there in these earth views. Standing on the bridge looking to the east side of the river is a substantial fill where the roadbed must have come up to a bridge to cross the river. I will see if I can get a picture this week to post. Once across the river, the PAR Worcester main is few hundred feet away.

4. Back to the Bolton area, on the section of the blue line that is north of route 117 you can see a condo development in process at 891 Main St. This is the former site of Crystal Springs Camp Ground. The sale of this property for development was about four or five years ago to Toll Brothers. I kept my eyes open for the sale information in the paper as I was curious as to what it sold for. Part of the sale included a transaction with the Boston And Maine Corporation. I was not expecting to see this! I would have figured the ROW was all sold off to the abutters before the 21st Century!
 #1033711  by Red Wing

SpiderHill, Welcome to the forums! Thank you for that all the information. If I had been smarter when I lived in Berlin I would have explored this line instead of the Central Mass and Lancaster Mills Branch.
 #1034624  by johnhenry

Very interesting posts. I have explored this line for fun over the past 10 years also. My biggest unsolved mystery involves a section near the golf couse. if you walk the right of way west of the Wilder Rd crossing you are on a small fill and then come to a crossing with an access rd into the golf course (this is shown on Google but not named). From there the right of way disapears. There is just woods and the land contour is suddenly down. There are no houses for a while (the right of way does start to pick up behind some housed a few hundred yards later). It wouldn't seem that the fill that must have been there was removed becuase there is no building going on there and just alot of trees. What I am wondering is if this section had a trestle - perhaps temporary as in the type that is built but later filled in? Since the railroad never really opening, it seems possible that the filling in of the trestle was never accomplished.
 #1034720  by neman2

OK this link should work this time, I have mapped a lot of the right of way from observing it while driving through the area, from topo maps and google maps. The unfortunate part of the satellite maps these days is they are done with full foliage on the trees which makes it harder.Years ago I know in this area the image was from a time when there was no foliage on the trees.My map pretty much agrees with what has been posted here.

Go to this link and zoom to the Bolton area.

http://g.co/maps/u8psp
 #1034831  by SpiderHill

JohnHenry,

I don't believe that the fill that you reference is part of the original roadbed. It might be close to the location but I think its placement and elevation are not the same. Also keep in mind that there have been major changes of the use of the property in this area. The access road to the golf course I believe was the original access road up to the Bolton Airport. I would think there would have been much smaller or no trees in much of this area. I think after the airport closed down and the golf course was expanded over the airport, this access road that loops part of the golf course was constructed on the ROW.