Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1503340  by John Smythe

Looked over The Wheel Report link & unless I missed something, not a thing about MEC #501.
 #1503367  by John Smythe

Here's another interesting item from out of a newspaper many years ago. Enjoy.
Attachments:
Scancartoon1.jpg
Scancartoon1.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 1200 times
 #1504162  by shadyjay

Calebharris39 wrote:Wheel report is out https://www.conwayscenic.com/blog/march-2019/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So what are they going to do for a snack bar on the Notch train now, if they converted the one in the Dorothy Mae to a "screening room"? There used to be one in the Carrol P Reed, but with that being sandwiched between the dome and the Hattie now, well, it'll be coach madness in first class! Unless the CP Reed gets pushed to the coach end of the first class consist.

And with Louis Edmunds being the shop foreman now, does that mean a certain B&O office car is going to follow him up there as well? Now there's a photo opportunity in the 'Notch!
 #1504167  by b&m 1566

Calebharris39 wrote:Which one the one by the nj transit cars or the other one
I'm only aware of one bulkhead flat car, it's the one that was picked up in Whitefield 2 years ago, along with the B&M box car that was restored back to its McGinnis scheme.
 #1504224  by Calebharris39

Isnt there still some old cars in conway as well on the albany town line side ? i believe 2 boxcars and they are forsale would make a nice static display in conway
 #1504236  by b&m 1566

They have 2 or 3 on the siding in Conway, at the south end of the rail yard. Last I heard they were for sale "as is" and I thought one might have been purchased and removed in the last 10 years. They are converted open braced wooded box cars with steel framing, that became their open-air cars and later replaced by converting some of the heavy weight coaches to open-air. Last time I saw the inside of them was when the notch train pulled up alongside them back in 2006, there wasn't much wood left for a floor in either of the cars. Some 13 years later, the area is even more grown in now than back in 2006, so a lot of brush cutting will need to be done to get to them out, if someone purchases one. I wouldn't expect to see them back in N. Conway for display purposes, they have enough already and they’re not really in the business of "static displays". Every peace of equipment they have outside of the tank car (which I was told use to hold the oil for #108) and not owned by the 470 RR Club, serves a purpose. The box cars are used for storage the hoppers move ballast and the flatcars will be used for moving MOW related material and the snow plow does in fact get used on occasions.
 #1504248  by John Smythe

How many of these so called out of service flat cars & outside frame box cars are there in total? How many are for sale?
 #1504257  by John Smythe

Dale Drew, Rudy Hood, Tommy Evans, Ron Judd, Wayne Allen for starters. Perhaps it's time to have Gordon take some new people who have the desire to learn & teach them, get them certified. Same goes for firemen, in the past I fired #7470 & also had occasional opportunities to run her as well. A couple of dozen hours but just like riding a bicycle, once you learn, get the hang of what is required to do, learn the rules, it stays with you.

Some people like myself just have a natural knack for running machinery, working on machinery & understanding what forces are at work when put into motion.
Last edited by John Smythe on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1504283  by Mikejf

Rudy retired, Gordon is all but retired. Some guys with steam experience are going to put together a training program to teach up and coming firemen and engineers to learn how to run the 7470.
 #1504288  by John Smythe

Dave Lamson who did signal work at CSRR, passed away last Saturday after a lengthy illness. His funeral will be in Exeter, NH. He was 79 years old.