Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1490555  by John Smythe

Does anyone know if MEC #501 will be going into the roundhouse for Winter storage or to have any additional work performed on her?
 #1490606  by b&m 1566

The Conway Scenic mentioned on their Facebook page a few weeks a go, that an engineering firm would be looking over the 501 this winter. Nothing was mentioned about moving it into the roundhouse. Considering they just moved it away from the Roundhouse, I'm willing to bet the study will be done right where it is now.
 #1490637  by John Smythe

There are times over the past 20 years or so that whenever something is going on regarding the MEC #501 I get some sort of a E.S.P. sensation / premonition that something is being planned, talked about, etc regarding this steam locomotive. Almost like someone or something far away is trying to communicate with me. I see combinations of 0-1-5 in numerous ways, multiple times, then later learn that something in fact has taken place, I don't completely understand what drives this sensation but I accept it. As everyone well knows I only want the best to happen regarding her restoration.
 #1490741  by backroadrails

B&M 4268 got its prime mover and generator today. And Conway’s scenic has reportedly purchased another car, which will be delivered via SLR in the coming weeks. This has not been confirmed by Conway yet, but if it is true you may see a trip through the Notch this year to get it.
 #1490753  by John Smythe

As I've stated before....the new owners of Conway Scenic are thinking outside the box, many, many new things are in the works & will present themselves at the appropriate time. The MEC #501 in my opinion was, is & will continue to be a excellent candidate for a complete restoration.
 #1491394  by NHV 669

Correct, car is ex CB&Q Silver Buckle. The seller confirmed via the Train Orders site that it will leave LA for the final time tomorrow, and supposedly arrive in ALB 11/21 via the Lake Shore. It will go by freight the rest of the way, not sure if that means north or east, but certainly will arrive via SLR/NHCR sometime after that.
 #1491401  by p42thedowneaster

Thanks for the info, that's awesome! Do you think this will be used for expanded dining seats or just used as a premium table car?

I'm excited by the hope of new improvements to first class finally happening. I love the dining car on the CNL but I very much dislike the CP Reed and Lower dome seating. Sitting across from strangers for hours is not what I came for. We almost always escape to a less crowded coach seat during that half the ride.

If I could have a private table for 2 in first class we would be more likely to stay there and buy some drinks and snacks.