Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1434184  by DutchRailnut

they bought those rights at time of sale of Danbury cluster, it would be impossible for Housy to to provide service between Danbury and Branford.
 #1435860  by Jeff Smith

Source: Housatonic Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/104858662883600/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Dave Jacobs
NX12-
Tuesday-Friday Canaan to Pittsfield and return Canaan (or at least as far as they can get before 3:30,) switching in Lenox and Pittsfield. Crew works 7:30am-3:30pm, however they never go south of Canaan
Sunday: Canaan to Pittsfield and return to Lenox. Switching in Canaan, Lenox, Pittsfield, then Lenox again. They tie down in Lenox and return to Canaan in the Suburban. On duty 6:30am until whenever they're done. They usually spend 2-3 hours working in Canaan before heading north.
Monday: On duty at 7:30am, Crew takes the Suburban to Lenox where they board the train and run to Pittsfield light (If CSX has more cars there by then,) then back to Canaan.
On Mondays the road locomotives get serviced and fueled up since they are usually back in Canaan by around 1pm-ish
NX13-
Monday-Friday, Crews usually come on at around 3:30, take the Suburban to wherever NX12 is, and replace their crew. If NX12 returns to Canaan before 3:30, NX12 will just leave the train in town and NX13 will take it from Canaan south when they come on duty. They go to New Milford, switch KC, then return to Canaan. They always make a full return to Canaan. They run no matter if there are cars or not. They run south light engines if they have to.
NX10-
Monday-Friday 8am-whenever they're done, Switching south of New Milford including KC (if necessary) Winters, Shepaug, Farmco, etc.
NX11-
Monday-Friday 7:30-early afternoon, switching in Canaan, including usually several trips to Specialty Minerals, BD, Century Aggregate in Falls Village, Sheffield Plastics in both Canaan behind the police barracks and in Sheffield, and any other odd jobs that need to be done around Canaan including organizing loads to go north for NX12 and occasionally running to Rising or to Cornwall Bridge to put cars into or out of storage on those sidings
 #1472613  by Jeff Smith

Any word on if CtDOT (or anyone else) fund an upgrade of the Maybrook from Derby to Danbury to handle either the Tilcon traffic, the stone train, or both while they're replacing WALK?
 #1472770  by Jeff Smith

Again, I know the sentiment, I'm only thinking operational necessity (and yes, it's very roundabout). It's too bad the adverse abandonment didn't work out. Maybe G&W dips into their pockets and buys it... after all, Danbury Terminal aka HRRC did sell Maybrook and Beacon in NYS to MNRR.
 #1472809  by J.D. Lang

I think that the Hawleyville lumber transload facility has to be very important to the HRRC. It’s got to be their biggest moneymaker on the south end so I don’t think that they would sell that easily and if G&W wanted to buy I’m sure the asking price would not be worth it.

It would be nice if CDOT bought the Danbury cluster and the Maybrook to Derby J. allowing HRRC to continue to serve Hawleyville and fixing the tracks from Botsford to Derby Junction to at least Class I to allow G&W stone trains and MN to do equipment moves but the last I checked this state is broke so I can’t see where the money would come from. It will be interesting to see if there’s some movement to relieve the Walk area traffic but I don't think things will change in regards to the Maybrook.

J. Lang
 #1472812  by Jeff Smith

Solution: in the same way that P&W serves Tilcon, allow HRRC to continue to serve Hawleyville. Ideally, G&W would dip in their pockets and buy the whole nine yards, not just the cluster.