Railroad Forums 

• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1350398  by MaineCoonCat

IMHO some of the statements made in this article really may not stand up to fact checking.. We'll let the lawyers decide.. Be sure to follow the link at the bottom for
the whole article as it is lengthy.

[quote="At 9:44 PM on Sep 26, 2015 In an article entitled "Grafton railroad rides exemption ticket with propane facility", Isaiah Thompson of the New England Center for Investigative Reporting staff"]

Grafton railroad rides exemption ticket with propane facility

Construction continues at Grafton & Upton Railroad's liquefied propane gas transloading facility Sept. 17
in Grafton. T&G Staff/Paul Kapteyn

GRAFTON — In early 2012, residents began to notice an unusual amount of activity around the Grafton & Upton rail yard at the north end of town. An old barn came down. Earth moving equipment cleared the land.

The 16.5-mile railroad was purchased in 2008 by Jon Delli Priscoli, a major local developer with a penchant for railroads; he also owns the “Thomas the Tank Engine” theme park in Carver.

At least one town official who visited the site to ask about the construction - and why the town had seen no applications for construction and the railroad plans - said he was told that the railroad's activities were not subject to review by the town.

In December 2012, Delli Priscoli finally unveiled his plans to more than 100 residents at a meeting in the town gym. The railroad yard, he announced, was to become a “transloading” facility to receive propane brought in by rail and transferred onto tanker trucks for distribution. With four 120-foot long, 80,000-gallon storage tanks to be filled by up to 2,000 train tank-cars a year, it would be the biggest rail propane facility in Massachusetts.

Residents were dumbfounded.

The location was in the middle of a residential neighborhood, less than 2,000 feet from an elementary school and atop the town’s water supply protection zone. But, aside from an application to the state’s Fire Marshal, the railroad had not requested nor obtained, town officials say, local permits, environmental assessments, zoning variances - or permission.

And it was the railroad’s position that it didn’t have to. Being a railroad, the Grafton & Upton asserted, it was exempt from state and local law that interfered with its business.

As one resident put it, “You mean we have no rights?”

Around the country, in towns as small as Grafton and cities as large as Philadelphia and Chicago, communities are beginning to ask the same question as the domestic energy boom makes the expansion of railway infrastructure - to host trains carrying energy products like crude and ethanol - a profitable venture indeed.

After more than a dozen serious explosions, fires and spills around the country, such incidents are causing more concern. But an investigation by the New England Center for Investigative Reporting suggests a critical part of the energy-by-rail picture has largely escaped national attention: The rail industry is using historic exemptions from state and local laws to build transfer and processing stations free from permitting.

A loophole in federal regulatory law, critics say, is how the railroads are able to bypass local and state laws. Critics argue railroads are doing so with the backing of the Surface Transportation Board, which has created what some call a “regulation-free zone” and asserted jurisdiction over railroads that trumps health and safety laws.

The result is a “regulatory hole you could drive a train through,” said Ginny Sinkel Kremer, an attorney who has represents Grafton in its legal battles against the transloading facility and the STB.[/quote]

Read a whole lot more at the Telegram's web site
 #1350406  by BandA

The New England Center for Investigative Reporting is WGBH + BU. I thought they were competitors for listeners.

What struck me was there was no attempt at balance or finding folks on the other side to interview. The other thing was all the info was months old & a rehash of already published information. The purpose of investigative reporting is to find something new & previously unreported.
 #1350409  by Cosmo

BandA wrote:The New England Center for Investigative Reporting is WGBH + BU. I thought they were competitors for listeners.
I would have expected something MUCH better from them.
 #1350446  by Jeff Smith

Hey, you could always provide a link on the article comments section to this discussion where the news source can find knowledgeable people ;-). Or send an email to the author with a link...
 #1351092  by frrc

YamaOfParadise wrote:Well, that's interesting. But... he also is involved in the Seaview Railroad over in R.I.? First time I've ever heard of that.

Odd, RI corporate records show a different owner than the one quoted in the article..

http://ucc.state.ri.us/CorpSearch/CorpS ... =000009975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JoeF
 #1351142  by b&m 1566

The Conway Scenic never operated frieght service to start and I really don't see that changing. The Conway Scenic is a successful business model that makes a profit every year, I think that profit is what he's after. The only marginal frieght opportunity is south of Conway which at current has nothing to do with the Conway Scenic. Russ had no desire to expand south past conway for good reasons. A few years ago they did look at track conditions to Coleman's in Madison but was squashed because it would've cost to much to rehab the track. They had wanted to be able to load ballast directly into the hoppers at Coleman's but instead had the ballast delivered to Bartlett by truck. Now back to the G&U.
 #1351145  by F-line to Dudley via Park

He owns Edaville; the guy has experience running a tourist operation as a busines. It's not like this is a venture outside his wheelhouse. He bought it to run passenger trains without a hint of future freight traffic...because there isn't any future freight traffic to sit on that investment and wait for. I agree; it's a profit for profit's sake investment.

Now, of G&U-specific interest, they're definitely going to be able to get their hands on some very cool loaner equipment for Polar Expresses future.
 #1351202  by BostonUrbEx

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:because there isn't any future freight traffic
Isn't NHDOT seeking bidders/contractors to restore the gap between CSRR and NHN for restored freight traffic? I don't know how far along this is nor if there's enough interest, but it's something. NHDOT wants a north-south through-route and to get trucks off NH-16.
 #1351318  by b&m 1566

At the beginning of the year the state made a public notice to see if there was any interest. They were looking for feedback from potential shippers/receivers and operators to see if the Conway Branch and the Mountain (both east and west ends) should be put up for bids. I haven't heard of any new information since. My guess is that this was a feeler because there's been a lot of talk going around with the state of Maine section of the mountain, which Conway has been looped into.