Railroad Forums 

• Gravel pits/quarry

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1497285  by b&m 1566

Rockguy wrote:Woodstock doesn’t have enough material left. Either does Campton. I need to stay on panam as interchange fees add up.
Well that just about eliminates NH then. Your best bet might be in Maine, not sure what Pan Am has going west to NY. You might have some luck down in CT but I still think Maine is probably your best shot at finding something your looking for along their ROW's.
 #1497288  by Rockguy

Well that just about eliminates NH then. Your best bet might be in Maine, not sure what Pan Am has going west to NY. You might have some luck down in CT but I still think Maine is probably your best shot at finding something your looking for along their ROW's.[/quote]

I’d love to find a decent property in Maine. With timber prices falling im hoping land is available. Just hard not knowing the area on what material is where.

Nice quarry in prospect,me for sale but rail is on Bucksport side of river.
 #1497294  by Mikejf

Most active quarries in Maine are away from the ttacks. The only one would be Lane Construction in Hermon.

Good luck in your searching.. It would be nice to see more rail use.
 #1497300  by Rockguy

I’d prefer to find raw land. Most existing quarries have been used for years already.

It would be nice to use the rail as gravel is heavy. Traffic is getting worse on roads. Lots of capital needed to get up and running. Our spur hasn’t been used in atleast 30 yrs.
 #1497463  by newpylong

If it's Lynch Construction it looks like from Google Earth your switch is at least still cut in. Thats always the hardest battle getting them to put it back in once removed. The rest of the spur doesnt look too bad, but obviously hard to tell on a computer!
 #1497475  by Rockguy

Its all there just needs some attention before a rail car can go on it. Couple broken joints and replace some ties. They will probably make us pay for improvements to the south leg of the wye since our switch is off that. I’m hoping the state picks up that portion.

My guess is it hasn’t seen railcars since the late 80’s.

The material would be for a sister company called Lynch Materials that operates from a yard on Rt 62 in Wilmington.
 #1497487  by Rockguy

From Lawrence you would need to run around the cars to shove into our siding. They would have to back down the south leg of the wye then flip switch and into our yard. Would be much easier if heading from Lowell. I’d like to be able to fit 20 cars eventually but want to start with 5.
 #1497489  by GP40MC1118

You dealing with Pan Am for starters, then the MBTA/Mass DOT.

Depends where your cars are coming from too. PAR doesn't base any locals
in Lowell, so one of those locals would be it. Running around their train is
a lot easier now that the MBTA mainline is double track between Wilmington
Jct and Lowell Jct. Of course, you'd need a window between MBTA traffic.

D
 #1497490  by Rockguy

Not sure where the cars will be coming from yet. Either from bow,nh or somewhere in Maine. Trying to find some acreage along the tracks somewhere.

This is high volume, low value freight so I need to make it easy for them to serve us.
 #1497492  by tom18287

Rockguy wrote:
newpylong wrote:If it's Lynch Construction it looks like from Google Earth your switch is at least still cut in. Thats always the hardest battle getting them to put it back in once removed. The rest of the spur doesnt look too bad, but obviously hard to tell on a computer!
Its all there just needs some attention before a rail car can go on it. Couple broken joints and replace some ties. They will probably make us pay for improvements to the south leg of the wye since our switch is off that. I’m hoping the state picks up that portion.

My guess is it hasn’t seen railcars since the late 80’s.

The material would be for a sister company called Lynch Materials that operates from a yard on Rt 62 in Wilmington.
i am a contractor so i'm familiar with your business and location, do you currently still get material from benevento? you purchased heffron a few years back, correct?
 #1497498  by Rockguy

We did buy out heffrom a few years ago. As far as I know we never have gotten material from benevento. Benevento doesnt sell stone unless you buy it in asphalt or Concrete. Same issue in Peabody for aggregate.
 #1497515  by tom18287

we buy from benevento all the time, they are open for business like a quarry. amazing piece of property they have haha.