Railroad Forums 

• CSX non-intermodal freight in Worcester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1377621  by BostonUrbEx

Last time I took a look at Worcester Yard on Google Maps, it wasn't updated for all the work CSX had done. But there's a great view of the yard which has probably been up for some time now. It looks like there is zero manifest freight, and it is all intermodal, with the only manifest stuff being in the P&W yard -- is this true? Was this also the case prior to the redesign? Does CSX have any local customers in Worcester? I'm guessing the manifest stuff just runs West Springfield to Framingham, no stops.
 #1377649  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BostonUrbEx wrote:Last time I took a look at Worcester Yard on Google Maps, it wasn't updated for all the work CSX had done. But there's a great view of the yard which has probably been up for some time now. It looks like there is zero manifest freight, and it is all intermodal, with the only manifest stuff being in the P&W yard -- is this true? Was this also the case prior to the redesign? Does CSX have any local customers in Worcester? I'm guessing the manifest stuff just runs West Springfield to Framingham, no stops.
Correct. The reconfigured yard is 100% IM, nothing else. Not sure what mixture was there prior to the big renovation. There's a daily local that runs west from Framingham to handle G&U interchange and what few on-line customers there are in the Westborough-Worcester stretch. Camosse Masonry and Regency Warehouse near Route 20 are the only customers in the City of Worcester. Pretty sure everything west of Worcester Yard (Auburn, Charlton, etc.) is run out of Palmer.

I don't know if they run totally non-stop to Framingham. They'd have to turn out and pause some of the time for slotting vs. commuter trains, and I'm sure they make stopovers to ferry staff and/or power between yards on as-needed basis.
 #1383046  by Knucklehead

Last I knew CSXT B722 left Framingham and made up their train in the Westborough yard. From there they ran west to Worcester and ran around their train. On the return they switched the Regency Warehouse, the G&U, and Dana Films (at CP-33) as needed, then returned to Framingham.

And as far as I know, all CSXT Worcester/Auburn customers were done with freight (other than the Regency Warehouse) by mid 2011.