Watuppa Rails in Fall River

Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

ewh

Watuppa Rails in Fall River

Post by ewh » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:09 am

The rails from the Watuppa Branch in downtown Fall River have been pulled up from the causeways to Route 6 effectively removing all the remaining rails from downtown to Whites of Westport. This line was last used around 1980 and had become largely overgrown for the past 35 years.

fogg1703

Re: Watuppa Rails in Fall River

Post by fogg1703 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Who is pulling the rails? MassDot?

ewh

Post by ewh » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Yep, looked like a DOT dump truck (if you take your eyes off the never-ending construction on I-195 you will die), it's now a done deal. Rails are long gone. Trestles remain in place.

YamaOfParadise

Post by YamaOfParadise » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:29 pm

fogg1703 wrote:Who is pulling the rails? MassDot?
Either them or the City of Fall River; it's part of the second phase of the Quequechan River Rail Trail. This section of rail was already physically isolated by the first phase of the trail project, which has been completed for a number of years now. As much as it is a shame the rather high number of old wooden trestles are going with the rails, this end of the branch had already been doomed anyways. There's barely even any industries left in the places it used to serve, let alone industries that could take carload(s).
Consider contributing detailed railway data to OpenStreetMap for use in OpenRailwayMap!

SOCO11

Post by SOCO11 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:48 am

There is a section of previously overgrown rail exposed by brush clearing behind the Hampton Inn across from Whites of Westport. There is also surveying around the buildings facing rt 6. This articlehttps://www.heraldnews.com/news/2018032 ... n-westportstates that the owners of the Hampton want to build another hotel on the rt 6 side of the tracks. They are negotiating with Mass DOT on how to handle the ROW. It even mentions a bridge! It will be interesting to see what happens- this should decidethe fate of the last portion of the Watuppa before the bike path. I know Mid City has talked about extending service down to their annex. Maybe that will become the end of track?

Ken W2KB
Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Post by Ken W2KB » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:13 pm

SOCO11 wrote:There is a section of previously overgrown rail exposed by brush clearing behind the Hampton Inn across from Whites of Westport. There is also surveying around the buildings facing rt 6. This articlehttps://www.heraldnews.com/news/2018032 ... n-westportstates that the owners of the Hampton want to build another hotel on the rt 6 side of the tracks. They are negotiating with Mass DOT on how to handle the ROW. It even mentions a bridge! It will be interesting to see what happens- this should decidethe fate of the last portion of the Watuppa before the bike path. I know Mid City has talked about extending service down to their annex. Maybe that will become the end of track?
Also interesting that the owner of the Hilton Hotel property wants to build a Marriott Hotel property. Hilton and Marriott are fierce competitors in the hotel industry.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 ::
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: [/url]

SOCO11

Post by SOCO11 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:02 am

They own multiple properties. I believe a Marriott brand in New Bedford.

SOCO11

Post by SOCO11 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 am

Construction on the hotel site is progressing. The ROW was briefly exposed during brush clearing and looked very good. I though they may just landscape around the tracks :-D . I thought it might also push the expansion of the Fall River Rail trail. But for now the ROW was just buried under two to three feet of fill with the tracks still intact unless they pulled and removed them in an incredibly short time (I pass by there just about daily).

Return to “New England Railfan”