Railroad Forums 

• Boston Surface Railroad: Worcester-Providence Commuter Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1537249  by Jeff Smith

Maybe not the FL9's; they have plenty of other recycled power. They COULD use some coaches. Oh Shoreliners, oh Shoreliners, where for art thou Shorliners?

Anyway, if BSRR were for real, they have plenty of choices out there from old IP coaches to the Barnum & Bailey equipment hiding away in a forest in NC I think? But they're not going to do anything with a single engine that apparently is already a target for scavengers. Has P&W or parent companies opined in the near past?

Also, is the BSRR patron still living in the Woonsocket station?

I don't see this ending well. This project needed someone with deep pockets to start.
 #1538493  by trainhq

Been years since I have posted, but I always saw this one as an LOL. :-D
The basic premise here was always suspect; I cannot think of ONE
commuter rail operation anywhere that turns a profit. Even though
the P & W tracks and signals are pretty good and don't need too much
upgrade, they themselves have never shown any interest in sponsoring
CR, so there must be a reason. I have watched all of this saying, "I'll
believe it when I see it"; and we never saw it. And I don't think we ever will.
No surprises.
 #1538563  by BandA

Compare it to Brightline, which leveraged the real estate, and was under unified ownership (at the time) with the railroad. Also Brightline is non-union, where P&W and PanAM are union. Brightline was reasonably capitalized, BSRR is not. In order for BSRR to work it needs a real skunkworks approach and insurance liability miraculous solution.
 #1538643  by MaineCoonCat

According to the Valley Breeze article, there's a hearing scheduled for May. The BSRC never responded to my inquiry. Now, what with the virus, whether that hearing goes on as scheduled remains to be seen.
 #1538662  by BandA

Things like courts could be done using video conferences ("telepresence"?) Stuff like criminal cases are going to get prioritized ahead of this stuff, so it's going to be a mess. And the old saw, justice delayed is justice denied.
 #1542085  by MaineCoonCat

Hmmmm.. Wonder if this is significant..
bsrc.com error message 05/08/2020
(17.61 KiB) Downloaded 2100 times
In addition, this is the only result from bsrc.com showing in a "Google" search as of 17:08 EDT 05/08/2020..
bsrc Google result 05/08/2020
bsrc Google result 05/08/2020
bsrc down 2.PNG (16.4 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
older woman wondering.jpg
older woman wondering.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
 #1542177  by MaineCoonCat

Guess they're still on life support.. Continued to 23 September 2020.. I kinda doubt this means the buses are running.. :wink:
Order On Assented Motion To Continue
(96.27 KiB) Downloaded 2012 times
 #1546401  by Jeff Smith

https://www.valleybreeze.com/2020-06-24 ... vT2AyhKiUk
WOONSOCKET – Vincent Bono, the local businessman best known for his efforts to bring passenger train service to the Blackstone Valley, has declared candidacy for state representative for District 49.

Bono is running as an independent candidate for the seat, which is currently held by Rep. Michael Morin, a Democrat. Morin announced earlier this month he does not intend to seek re-election in the fall.
Bono is best known as the founder of the Boston Surface Railroad Company, a startup train company trying to establish passenger rail service between Providence, Worcester and Woonsocket. The company has its offices in the state-owned train depot located at Depot Square.
 #1546522  by MEC407

Yikes.
 #1546536  by scratchyX

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:09 pm https://www.valleybreeze.com/2020-06-24 ... vT2AyhKiUk
WOONSOCKET – Vincent Bono, the local businessman best known for his efforts to bring passenger train service to the Blackstone Valley, has declared candidacy for state representative for District 49.

Bono is running as an independent candidate for the seat, which is currently held by Rep. Michael Morin, a Democrat. Morin announced earlier this month he does not intend to seek re-election in the fall.
Bono is best known as the founder of the Boston Surface Railroad Company, a startup train company trying to establish passenger rail service between Providence, Worcester and Woonsocket. The company has its offices in the state-owned train depot located at Depot Square.
/\
David Bowie died, and reality Broke, giving things like.|