Railroad Forums 

• What Ever Happened To?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1238690  by mdamico23

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has information on two individuals involved in old-time New England Shortline Railroading, Ed Stapleton and Lewis Putnam? Mr. Stapleton was the owner/President of the Suncook Valley RR until he sold it to Sam Pinsly in 1952. Pinsly promptly abandoned the line following the sale, leading many to believe he was only interested in the SV's new 44-Tonner and its rail for relay purposes. Mr. Putnam was also the majority owner of the Barre & Chelsea RR, and I think he also was involved with the St. Johnsbury & Lamoille County RR. He sold portions of the B&C to Pinsly in 1957 to form the Montpelier & Barre. I also think he was involved with the sale of the StJ&LC to the Salzberg organization around the same time. From what I read, that sale was quite controversial as the Maine Central also wanted it.

Anyhow, I'm sure both of these gentlemen are long deceased, although I think Mr. Putnam made it to at least the late 1960s as I remember reading an article on the StJ&LC where the author sparred with him over the decrepit condition of the roadbed and tracks during the Salzberg/Pinsly era. Wondering if either individual found employment within the Salzberg or Pinsly organizations after they sold out?

Thanks and have a great day...

-Mike
 #1238708  by b&m 1566

I was under the impression that the B&M embargoed the bridge over the Merrimack River because it was not safe for trains to cross it and would've cost to much to rehab it. Since that was the only interchange point the railroad was out of business. It's possible the railroad was sold after the embargo for the purpose of reusing the equipment else where.