Railroad Forums 

• Two questions re: trackwork activities

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#8849  by johnpbarlow

1. A salvage company is wrapping up the collection of old rail and not so old ties on what was left of the B&A's Milford branch southwest of Framingham. Does anybody know where this material is being taken/ I suspect the rail probably has little value other than to a museum but many of the ties were fairly new as Conrail rehabbed the line in the early '90s. BCRR's dreadful Millis line trackage, 5 miles down the road, could certainly benefit from re-using these ties.

2. Does anyone know if GRS has any track projects planned this summer for District 4 and District 3 west of Fitchburg? I believe the T is installing sections of welded rail between Fitchburg and Willows.

#8918  by JJJeffries

Having lived in New England I know this former line well. There is a steel mill in Jersey Shore, Pa., that receives old rail from all over the East including New England. It arrives by truck and rail.

Best,
Craig

#9587  by joshuahouse

I went by there this afternoon, there must be more rail there then in all of oh, say, Rhode Island and the Cape. JJJ, any idea what they have planned for those 10 or so conrail cabboses?

#9625  by JJJeffries

The cabooses are for sale. They were to go into a planned resort that failed. Happy Acres near Waterville, Pa. north of Jersey Shore was purchased with the idea of having the cars rebuilt to house vacationers. Too bad! There were several more of them. They must have been already sold. Who owns them I do not know.

Best,
Craig
Lock Haven, Pa.

#11243  by CSX Conductor

So where exactly are these former ConRail cabooses?

#11666  by JJJeffries

Actually, they are 1/4 mile WEST of Jersey Shore Steel. You can see them from US 220. Don't attempt to go near them in summer as Copperheads and Rattle Snakes abound. Ouch! LOL!

Best,
Craig